Water hyacinth questions?!! :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, they have been growing like crazy! I started out with 3, now I have 9! :)
Can I give them any plant fertalizer??
And I put the others in a bucket in the sun because they are taking over my pond. When will they flower?
Any tips on growing these guys?
Also do they need fish in order to grow?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 296

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, those look great! I can't get mine to grow this year. I don't think you need to worry about fertilizer as they appear to be getting what they need!

Reaction score
I have read that to get them to bloom they need to be packed in pretty tight, and have good long roots. I can't get any to bloom because the koi eat all the roots!

-Diane

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could offer them free to other ponders .I have been giving lots of mine away

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Haha! I think you've got the fertilizer issue covered there! Just be aware that these are considered an invasive species in many, many states - you can see why! - so if you have to dispose of them, do so carefully.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, You can move them to other containers of water and they should be just fine.

I normally have to pull them from my pond and move them to other containers too. I have used a plastic half wine barrel, a round plastic tub from Wal-Mart, a large planter without holes in the bottom. Really anything that holds water should do.

Yours look great by the way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I didn't know that to bloom, they preferred close quarters; I had just separated them into two rings - maybe that's why mine keep getting taller and fuller but not flowering

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't know that to bloom, they preferred close quarters; I had just separated them into two rings - maybe that's why mine keep getting taller and fuller but not flowering
This may or may not be factual, though several members have noted that their WH seemed to do better when it was grouped. And when you consider them in the wild [[ they ARE considered an invasive plant and dangerous to the local, natural environment ]], they are all massed together. I'm on my 2nd batch this year as they are just not thriving, and no idea what the problem is..... I did have them scattered but now have them grouped up and will see if it makes a difference. And as to blooming..... This batch might not look too good, but are blooming like crazy! The only thing I did different was to cut off about 1/2 of the root length. Another member mentioned that she pulled out all the older roots which seemed to help.

Yours are very nice and I'm sure they are helping with your water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Alice, your hyacinths look great!

My water hyacinth has been especially mopey this year.

Started out with 4 about a month ago and now I have.... 4. They have put on some new leaves, though. Just not enough to make completely separate plants. I suspect it's a combination of the weather (lots of rain and clouds), resulting water temperature, and lack of nutrients in the new pond. They aren't that robust green like Alice's, more of a chartreuse greeny-yellow with a few leaves of deep green. The funny thing is 2 of them have bloomed already (about 2 weeks apart). Last year, I didn't get ANY blooms, but they multiplied like rabbits. New pond has way more sun than the old pond, so once the water hits its sweet spot, I'm hopeful that they will pick up the pace.

Next time I venture in, i'll give the roots a little trim to see if that wakes them up!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Im going to start grouping the ones in the pond better, I do throw them out and I read that running them over the lawn and even through winter they survive but we have a leaf blower. I also keep them up and the leafs away that I pull off away from the pets- I dog sit + have a cat and ferret and read they are toxic to animals. Im low on cash and I may even sell some for $2 since they grow like crazy! Thanks guys!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@alice YOU HAVE A FERRET!!!! I think I've just made a new friend!!! I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but it's rare to find fellow ferret-people. We don't have any currently, but have had and just adore them! Also have cats (5), but hey, everyone has cats..... I miss my stinky slinkies!

Before you try to sell any WH, check to be sure they're not illegal where you live. I throw mine in the compost bin.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Alice, your hyacinths look great!

My water hyacinth has been especially mopey this year.

Started out with 4 about a month ago and now I have.... 4. They have put on some new leaves, though. Just not enough to make completely separate plants. I suspect it's a combination of the weather (lots of rain and clouds), resulting water temperature, and lack of nutrients in the new pond. They aren't that robust green like Alice's, more of a chartreuse greeny-yellow with a few leaves of deep green. The funny thing is 2 of them have bloomed already (about 2 weeks apart). Last year, I didn't get ANY blooms, but they multiplied like rabbits. New pond has way more sun than the old pond, so once the water hits its sweet spot, I'm hopeful that they will pick up the pace.

Next time I venture in, i'll give the roots a little trim to see if that wakes them up!
I'm in the same boat here, as it were. Too much rain, too little sun, and the pond temperature is STILL only around 64F! My original 12 WH are now 12 1/2, and not one flower so far. Even the ones for sale at our garden center (in a greenhouse) only started to bloom on the week-end, about a month later than usual! As for the root trim, I can't imagine WHY that would help them bloom. As already noted, when the koi do it, the WH won't flower at all. They WILL do better, however, if the roots can touch the mulm in the bottom of the pond.
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked one up for the local nursery and it is explovisly growing. I started with one mother plant with long roots, and it had two little shoots. soon turned into 3 with large deep rooted plants, with 3 or for shoots on each in about two weeks. Lots of growth, I pulled out alot of them. Makes me wonder if I should just leave them go???

What time of the year do these boom?

here is the first photo when I dropped them in, the second photo is about three weeks later. I thinned them out. The third photo is were I put the extra for now.

Attachments

• 20150706_192321.jpg
    20150706_192321.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 20150720_161654.jpg
    20150720_161654.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 20150721_203308.jpeg
    20150721_203308.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 20150722_063729.jpg
    20150722_063729.jpg