Water Hyacinth seeds

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
New guy question. i see water hyacinth seeds on Ebay and wondered if anyone tried growing these from seed. I bought 10 Lotus seeds for .99 on Ebay and the five that I put into water have all grown and I have two leaves on the surface of the pond already. Do you think the water hyacinth seeds would work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
IMO, it's hardly worth it since I can usually get very large specimens for $4 and once I have a pair, within a couple of weeks I have 10. Then again, it would be an interesting experiment/experience I guess...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Is THAT what the flowers are supposed to look like? I've hardly ever seen them flower, and certainly never with that blue pattern on the petals.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is what they look like .They can come in different colors also .I did not know that until last year .They even can be yellow
build stuff - pond 2015 093.JPG
build stuff - pond 2015 095.JPG
tomatos pond and landscaping 9-2015 051.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I forget what the name was but remember they came from Vietnam .The garden center had them .The leaves were green but the flower was yellow and had a little blue color in the middle .The garden center had ordered seeds and grew them and they got some from different countries .I have never seen the seeds for sale before this poster posted it

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have my doubts that Yellow was a true Water Hyacinth. If is really was then this is something that not even Google knows about.
And yes I knew that Water Hyacinth set seeds, but it propagates so quickly vivaporously, one could have a pond full of WT before the seeds even germinate.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
From CHINA????? Probably defective! :rolleyes: Is it even LEGAL to import them?
John

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hear that if they flower they are stressed and trying to reproduce because of lack of nutrients in the water.

Ask a Question