Water Hyacinth taking root

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
With the colder temps now I have noticed the hyacinths starting to die off but after thinning them I realized that half of mine are still dark green and thriving. After pulling them I figured out that the roots have been growing into the netting they were placed in to keep the koi from eating them.

I was just curious if anyone has ever planted them before. Check the difference between the left side (rooted) and the right side is yellowing fast.
1376504_3631136473360_1785837887_n.jpg

Reaction score
i have the same thing going on in my pond the ones i have in my waterfall resevoir are huge and dark green the ones floating in the pond are much smaller and yellowing dont ask me why but they are maybe someone on here has an answer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wild guess, two factors, there is more debris, sediments, fish poop accumulating where the water is calmer, the fish are more active and energetic closer to the water flow, doing more root damage

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
More nutrient availability results in greener plants. I've recently observed the same occurrence with our hyacinths. The anchored plants have roots in direct contact with more nutrients - providing a natural fertilizing boost. That's my theory, anyway.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
dieselplower said:
The fish eat the roots and the plant suffers.
That is what I thought but the ones I have on the right actually float in a net so fish cannot get them at all. The plants that are anchored have roots going through the net and fish can pick at what goes through. I was thinking maybe that was why they were flourishing, since the fish are slowly cutting the roots back.

I also thought it was odd that the dark green ones seem okay even with the cooler temps. It has been in the lower 40's and upper 30's the last few nights and the right side is still going strong.

Ask a Question