Water hyacinth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are we ever going to be able to buy water hyacinth in the UK again? Would love to have some in my pond but it was banned by the EU..we are no longer in the EU

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I hope it does not get banned everywhere. I greatly enjoy my water lettuce and hyacinth for the summer. This winter I even overwintered it to bring back out in the summer, if a complete ban is put on it I sure hope I can keep a small stock going over the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I hope it does not get banned everywhere. I greatly enjoy my water lettuce and hyacinth for the summer. This winter I even overwintered it to bring back out in the summer, if a complete ban is put on it I sure hope I can keep a small stock going over the winter.
I tried to over winter them a few times, but they died off towards the end.
I think our winters are just too long.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I tried to over winter them a few times, but they died off towards the end.
I think our winters are just too long.
I have 2 tanks of them, they were both going splendidly until recently. One tank of the lettuce didn't do so well due to a lack of nutrients ( apparently a goldfish in a 20g wasn't enough for them! ). I jsut put those outside to see if they will make a recovery. The other tank is still going well, I will wait till the pond water warms up a bit more before putting them out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I bought both water Lettuce and hyacinth from eBay and Amazon. I didn’t even know it was banned in Florida till I met this grow. Apparently the seller doesn’t know that either so try buying there.

Ask a Question