Water Hyacinth??

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Karen said:
Hey Bart...you're not far away then. They have some(and easy to get to) in the canal off of Highway 87 headed towards Orange. Turn left (coming from Buna) down the Inland Orange Paper Mill Entrance that also connects to Old Hwy 87. Not the "TRUCK" entrance. I think it's called "Owens-Illinois Road" The road runs parallel to the Canal. Go down until you reach the bridge that turns left onto Old Hwy 87. You can park there and get out. You'll see some there...not many but more than you'll need and they are easy to get to. They have some more over in this area at the river, etc...but these are the easiest I found to get to. Let me know if you don't know the location I'm talking about and I'll try to give better directions. Bring a sturdy rake or hoe to help you, but they pull out very easily. I then did what "fishin4cars" advised to "clean them up" before adding to my pond. Hope this helps!

When you cleaned them up did you find all kinds of little living things in the clean-up water? I've found all kinds of things! newts. snails, shrimp, small fish, crayfish, leeches.frogs tadpoles, even found a newborn baby alligator snapping turtle one time that was smaller than a dime. Hard to believe that little guy could grow up to a 600# mammoth! It's good to get most of that out before adding to the pond because for all that you do see there are many times more things good and bad that could get introduced to your pond. Glad to here you took my advice. It just good practice to do a quarantine on anything before it goes into your closed in system, fish, turtles plants, anything from out of the wild you want that period of time to help eliminate possible problems before they get in your little piece of paradise.

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
When you cleaned them up did you find all kinds of little living things in the clean-up water? I've found all kinds of things! newts. snails, shrimp, small fish, crayfish, leeches.frogs tadpoles, even found a newborn baby alligator snapping turtle one time that was smaller than a dime. Hard to believe that little guy could grow up to a 600# mammoth! It's good to get most of that out before adding to the pond because for all that you do see there are many times more things good and bad that could get introduced to your pond. Glad to here you took my advice. It just good practice to do a quarantine on anything before it goes into your closed in system, fish, turtles plants, anything from out of the wild you want that period of time to help eliminate possible problems before they get in your little piece of paradise.

Just some snails...I would have freaked out if I'd come across a baby alligator. (Not uncommon here where I live.) LOL...Been watching too much of "Swamp People" lately....I'd been yellin' "Choot 'em Choot 'em"...

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, Not a alligator! A alligator snapping turtle. It was about the size of a finger nail. As for swamp people Bruce Mitchell of Hammond season 1,2 and Mike Kliebert of Happy Woods season 1 and owner of Klieberts alligator farm both live very close to me. Bruce the long hair guy with the bib coveralls lives almost right across the street form me. One weird dude! Nice guy just weird, LOL, But I have been told by some that we both kind of look a like. LOL We used to take the kids to the gator fest at the gator farm, good music, great people, and some of the best food this side of the river, I guaranteeee!

Reaction score
Thanks Karen. I just returned from the hunt. I did find it and got quite a bit. Even managed to find some with blooms. Maybe some day I can return the favor.
Thanks
Bart
Also
fishin4cars are you going to be involved in the flooding. Hope not but good luck if you are.
Bart

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
So far all looks ok for me, all the flooding is taking lace the other side of the river from us, as long as the levees hold we should get anything but high muddy water in Lake Pontchatrain and the backwaters somewaht close to the house but still a safe distance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JoaniePA said:
Mine never bloom. I get them anyway and they look okay along the edges and where they get stuck between other plants, but I've never had a bloom.

I just ordered a few hyacinth's online and they came as beautiful healthy plants. Put them in two days ago and noticed this morning that my one goldfish was pushing it around the pond lol. I think he was munching on it, may have to build me a ring to keep em in if he and the others keep doing that I guess. Little stinkers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok here we go againg with my replies to posts in here...ugh anyhoot I just got some water hyacinths from online and they were gorgeous healthy looking plants. I put em in the pond two days ago and this morning I found my one goldfish was pushing one of the plants around the pond. Must have been munching on it or wanted to play...idk but was kinda funny to see. Guess I'll have to make me a ring to keep em in if he and his friends decide to keep that up!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can keep them in the ring until you get enough of them then throw them 1 once awhile to see them play with it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far my non seen fish are not messing with the hyacinths, they are starting to grow great.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well jody captured wrecked his harley took guns from his house .They stopped here .Duh they had to go back I asked them if they checked the wishing well .They found 8 more guns

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
Hey, Sissy, I must have missed something. Whatcha talking about? Real life, or tv? There must be more to this that I didn't catch .... :)

in one of the threads she was talking about a cop raid near her house, real life, this was the outcome

Ask a Question