Water Hyacinths and Fall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So they say to remove after first frost. We had a series of cold nights but no frost. I would say 50 as a low. The water cooled down a lot too since we didn't have sun for a few days.

I noticed after that, the hyacinths outer leaves started browning some and even falling off. I've been betting out what I find.

To keep the water clean, I was going to start removing them. I don't want them to slowly die off and decompose in the pond. Trying to be proactive.

I'm in 5b zone and wondering if now is about the time to start getting them out? Is there a certain water temp I'm looking for to know when start pulling?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I'm in zone 6b and it won't be long now until I'll have to scoop them all out.
They don't like cool temperatures. Nothing even near frost, just cool and they start turning.

Regrettably, that time of year is coming upon us.
I'll soon be cutting back everything, pulling out the tropicals and getting my leaf net up.
Bummer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm in zone 6b and it won't be long now until I'll have to scoop them all out.
They don't like cool temperatures. Nothing even near frost, just cool and they start turning.

Regrettably, that time of year is coming upon us.
I'll soon be cutting back everything, pulling out the tropicals and getting my leaf net up.
Bummer!

Leaves falling here already. My first fall and winter and the pond is near my property tree line.

Boy... It's going to be a battle! Have to start getting a plan for winterizing the pond. Do some reading!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Leaves falling here already. My first fall and winter and the pond is near my property tree line.

Boy... It's going to be a battle! Have to start getting a plan for winterizing the pond. Do some reading!
Get an inexpensive nylon pond net. I believe it's the same as the nets they use to keep birds off of fruit trees.

It's not good to get all those leaves into the pond. Too much decaying matter.

I erect a frame out of PVC pipes to support the net. I put rods in the ground and stick the ends of the PVC pipes over them forming an upward bow or loop shape. I connect them with PVC tees along the center length of the pond.
The bow shape helps to keep the leaves off for the most part, but at least they can't get into the pond.

One year I skipped the net and it was a mess come Springtime.

20210129_141246.jpg

Ask a Question