Water hyacinths don't bloom!

Reaction score
I have some questions about water hyacinths. I have quite a few, and I am not sure when they are supposed to bloom, I have not had even one bloom yet! They are reproducing like crazy but thats it! The other thing is that I have Jurassic lettuce as well and most of them look o.k. but a few of them have some yellowing leaves not sure if this is related or not, but do they need to be fertalized some way or do I just need to give them some time? Any help would be greatly apreciated!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They say the hottest part of the year, other say march to september.
Water hyacinths love to be crowded and even though they are floating plants, they don’t like to drift around. Corralling them with a hoop of plastic tubing, a hula-hoop, fishing line, or even rocks will keep them from moving around.

Water hyacinths in flower.

Water hyacinths usually bloom the most during the hottest part of the year and only if they are crowded. Each 6” to 12” flower spike lasts only one day and has 6 to 15 lavender flowers on it.

Yellowing hyacinths are a common problem and it is caused by lack of nutrients. Hyacinths are such vigorous growers they sometimes use up one or more nutrients in the pond. This can especially be a problem in very small ponds and ponds with very few fish. There are two ways of fertilizing your hyacinths. If you only have a few hyacinths, you can float them in a bucket of Miracle Grow for a few hours at a time. If you have too many hyacinths to remove from the pond, you can treat the entire pond with a solution of Muriate of Potash.
from the net, i don't have any

Reaction score
Thank you! I have have a roughly 6x12 pond (haven't ever actually measured it!) I currently have 8-2" goldfish in it and 1-2" koi i just put in! The hyacinths aren't yellowing as much as the lettuce might be normal but I don't know! The hyacinths tend to gather into one or two places in the pond because of the flow of the waterfall so I would say they are fairly crowded but I will look at this tonight when I get off work and evaluate! thank you so much for your always quick reply!! You are always so helpful! I have had the pond for two years and this is the first year with fish and plants in it so I am still learning lots!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Big Papa said:
Thank you! I have have a roughly 6x12 pond (haven't ever actually measured it!) I currently have 8-2" goldfish in it and 1-2" koi i just put in! The hyacinths aren't yellowing as much as the lettuce might be normal but I don't know! The hyacinths tend to gather into one or two places in the pond because of the flow of the waterfall so I would say they are fairly crowded but I will look at this tonight when I get off work and evaluate! thank you so much for your always quick reply!! You are always so helpful! I have had the pond for two years and this is the first year with fish and plants in it so I am still learning lots!

You are very welcome we are all learning every day! Glad I could help you.
I am learning to never build a big pond on a slope ever again! lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
More than a few believe me! Have learned a lot, every foot of the stream, every edge of the pond has a different problem to deal with, because of the slope.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I have dwarf hyacinth, much smaller than regular, but I have had just one flower on the oldest plant (the one transplant that they all came from. I assumed they needed a little more maturity, but the crowding makes good sense - when they are crowded, they produce seeds to spread to new areas. Usually with non water plants, I stress them a little by withholding water (if they think they're going to di, they flower to produce seed). Not possible with water plants, but crowding stress works too, I guess.

Good research, Addy. I don't think I could bring myself to fertilize hyacinth, though. Just sayin'.

Ask a Question