Water in, filter and pumps ready... anything else?

Reaction score
IMG_0699.jpgIMG_0700.jpgScreen shot 2012-06-19 at 9.28.44 PM.pngOk, im ready to start my pond. I have the small pond below (approx 450 gallons). I have the metal pump which powers the waterfall and I got the Laguna Pressure Flo 700 filter (pictured) and its corresponding 600 gph pump to power that.

Waterbug, I know you aren't a fan of pressurized filters but Im not an avid ponder who will have time to tend to it at length every day . Just wanted to get a quality pump that is somewhat easy to clean and will keep my water clean. So based on reading hundreds of reviews and posts, I went with a pressurized system with a UV light.

Sooo, my question now is once I fill the pond (which will be with hose water) and connect the waterfall and get the filter going, what else do I need to do? Are there starter chemicals for a new pond to remove chlorine? Should I get bacteria to kickstart the bio-filtration? Any other steps? I know I cant put fish in right away but was wondering what else you recommend to get the pond ready for fish.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A good test kit. It's very important to know what your water is before you start, and also a good idea for experienced people to see those results so as to advice you if anything needs to be done before adding fish. You'll need to test anyway if there is ever a problem, and there will be one eventually, everyone has them. and everyone needs to know when there new ponds cycle which is what the test kit will tell as well. Remember this and you'll get a jump start in success of your pond, We are the keepers of the water, the water is the what keeps the fish and plants alive. without good water our success is always limited.

Reaction score
run pump maybe a week and add some feeder goldfish, they can help get your water to where it needs to be if you can't or don't want to wait the full month, give or take before adding the fish or plants that you really want... dont forget to test water weekly or bi-weekly as you go along to check progress and gauge how your water quality changes.. and don't be too concerned about algae bloom

Reaction score
While I'm not a fan of everything in this world I am a fan of people having the pond they want. If you're happy, I'm happy.

As far as getting your pond ready for fish there's many things different people suggest. Some of these would include:

Some people say to jump start the bio filter by adding ammonia and waiting for ammonia and nitrite to go to zero. Some people say to use feeder goldfish for this and then kill the fish when done.

Some people say to let the pond run for a month or more to let it "balance".

Some people say to add different kinds of bacteria.

Some people say to add barley straw, or pellets, or extract, or some combination and let that rot for a 6-8 weeks so you won't get algae. Some people say this can be done with the fish, others say it can harm the fish.

Some people say to pH buffer the water so pH is stable when fish are added. Some people say to use baking soda which works instantly. Others say things like oyster shell, limestone, plaster of paris, etc., which all take longer but which supporters say are safer.

Some people say to wait until your first algae bloom is over before adding fish.

Some people say to make sure the pond surface is 40%, 50%, 75% or 80% covered with plants first.

Tons more I assume.

The only requirement I would say is to remove the chlorine with a chemical or wait until the water tests zero for chlorine. Not everyone does this and many fish do live through the process depending on how chlorinated the water is and how clean the pond was.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just add fish slowly once you have a zero chlorine reading, let your filter get going.

Ask a Question