Water is brownish

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I went out to my pond this morning and the water has a brownish tint to it. There is some brown residue along the edge of the pond mixed with some green (algae) residue as well. I've noticed a slight change in tint over the last week or so, but it seems more prominent today for some reason (it was very hot and sunny yesterday)

I didn't get a chance to do a water test and plan to do that tonight along with a water change (10-20%).

Is this just a symptom of the pond cycling? I'm assuming it is. My water tests are pretty normal.

Thoughts?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really never did water changes on a new pond as to me it does not give the pond time to cycle .Any plants with dirt in there pots or any thing get blown or washed in .I did not have fish in my second pond when I built it and just added peroxide to help it a little .It did not seem to harm anything

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Brownish water tint might be due to tannins. The residue at the edges might be the accumulation dissolved organic particulates. Both of these tend to occur due to the increase of organics in the water or possibly runoff. A picture would allow better insight to be given to ya. In either case, water changes would reduce the tint and residue, but it will happen again if the source can not be addressed.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some good photos tonight. Sissy, there isn't a lot of bio matter in the pond. I keep the plants pretty cleaned up. Leaves are removed when they just start getting brown and I am constantly picking fallen leaves out of the pond (I'm kind of OCD). That said, it is very possible that it is tannins from material I couldn't get to. Will Barley Extract cause the water to turn brownish? I did add some of that the other day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep they call it tea water .That's why I use peroxide instead barley is to messy and breaks down to peroxide any way

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Great to know folks! I bet that's what it is. I'm laying off the barley extract-COLD TURKEY! I did a water change tonight and before I did it, I did a quick reading
PH 9
AMMONIA 0
PHOSPHATE .5
HARDNESS 288ppm (16 drops)

Post water change:
PH 9
AMMONIA 0
PHOSPHATE 1
HARDNESS 216 ppm (12)
I also fed them in between tests (about 30 minutes prior to the second test)

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Here are the photos of the Brown stuff on my rocks and sides of the pond (taken during the water change)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3246]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3247]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3248]

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hmmmm. Does not look like a foam. Looks like some type of growth. Don't know what it is.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
It's kind of like algae and washes off pretty easily with pressure from a hose. There is some small streaks of green algae on the rocks growing. Since the water tests seem okay, I'm not worrying about it. If I stop the Barley Extract, I'm anticipating the water will lose the tea tint.

Reaction score
I used Nu Foam in my spillway and skimmer to help collect fine particles. That seems to have cleared up my tint troubles. Just put fresh in yesterday as the former foam finally broke down. I rinse the foam every 1-2 weeks with pond water to clean and preserve any Ben-bacteria. You can get the foam at fabric shops/craft stores. Best of luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is just muck and is slimy I get it and when it breaks loose fish fight over it ,Just like the stuff on your liner

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
UPDATE: The water has lost some of it's brown tint but still is slightly brown. I think this is because of the alga/matter on the pond walls. I haven't messed with cleaning the pond yet (it's still cycling). Everything is reading within normal limits regarding water tests. Things are rocking-and-rolling in "Tim's Pond" and I swear my fish have grown an INCH already!

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Thanks Fishylove. I have a couple of established lilies, water lettuce and hyacinth in the pond and about half-a-dozen plans in my bog. There's (some) duckweed floating around but my 'swimming pigs' eat it faster than it can multiply.

Ask a Question