Water is warm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have not added fish to my pond however I have noticed that the water temp is warm. We are 90 plus every day and the water heats up pretty fast. I have a small pond but lots of water movement. Can the "goldfish" take that heat? I am trying to grow plants to cover the pond but I it takes time. 6+ hours of sun per day.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have 5 shubunkin Goldfish for a couple of weeks, and they seem to be doing well in 90+ water. I have planted lilies and water lettuce so I will have more shade for the pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Keep the oxygen level as high as possible and don't over feed, under feed if anything. But yes, it is quite possible for them to handle 90+ degrees.

Attachments

• DSC04872.JPG
    DSC04872.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC04874.JPG
    DSC04874.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 268

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a pond in arizona, the water liked to stay around 89-90 the goldfish did fine.

Reaction score
It has been really hot here in W. MI this week, in the 90's (hot for this area). My pond water feels like bath water! Fish were hanging out at the bottom when I got home yesterday but came up to see me. I have a decent cover of lily pads and some other plants in and around but I still felt I needed to do something. I tossed in my small 250gph harbor freight pump that is for my fry pool (they are too small yet) and just have the hose shooting some water up and out a little bit to oxygenate the water and move it around a little more on the opposite end of my biofall. The fish seem to enjoy and where active in the evening and this morning despite the water not feeling any cooler.

Reaction score
Hello friend, accoring to my knowledge it can tolrate +90 degree, but you have to take care for two things
1) it always near about only +90 degree not more than it
2) Don't feel them much that can be a reason for problem in future.
i also love this sweet little pond.
thanks

Reaction score
For the record I was not "feeling" my fish, I said the water was like bath water. The pump I used help cool the water down as I had the hose propped up and the water dropped down into the pond maybe 2ft. I think the circulation and air movement cooled things down, also the temps are back to a normal range. I never did take a temp reading but should have! -Probably would have worried myself more if I had.

Ask a Question