Water lettuce hosting growing population of tiny black bugs; pics included

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
1800 gal pond in Florida. 84F degrees. Very hot summer. My pond is 3/4 covered with water lettuce which provides needed shade to my koi fish. Water lettuce is the only plan that has it. These bugs settle between the leaves and on top. The water lettuce looks healthy otherwise. Everything else is doing well. The amount of these tiny bugs has been growing in the last 3-4 weeks.
Anyone knows what these are?
What can I do to help clearing my plants of these? or does it go away on its own?
Is it harmful to the fish or the water quality?
Pics included.
Thank you in advance for any help you may provide. Miga :)

Attachments

• water let 1.jpg
    water let 1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,079
  • water let 2.jpg
    water let 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,714

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No idea what they are based on the photos, but the only thing that you can do is spray them off with the garden hose. The fish will eat them quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
This is my first year having a full set of water lettuce... I find them much more annoying compared to hyacinths and frog bits or duckweed. I wont get them next year. They get damaged by a lot of things way too easily.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Any suggestions regarding the bugs?

Remove the water lettuce and add more hyacinths.

If you insist, you could remove the water lettuce to a separate tank and spray them and then wash them very well for a while. You run the risk of a little of the bug spray getting in the water when removing them from the tank back to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Aphids drown easy, a harsh mist spray will knock their numbers down

A couple of sprays a day should see their numbers crumble

Water lettuce has raphides in its sap, not good for fish tums, at all, you might reconsider using toxic plants in large numbers, for shade...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Aphids drown easy, a harsh mist spray will knock their numbers down

A couple of sprays a day should see their numbers crumble

Water lettuce has raphides in its sap, not good for fish tums, at all, you might reconsider using toxic plants in large numbers, for shade...
Thank you, however I notice my fish do not eat or nibble at the water lettuce much at all. They are more interested in the algae that sticks to the rocks. What type of toxic plants do you suggest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Remove the water lettuce and add more hyacinths.

If you insist, you could remove the water lettuce to a separate tank and spray them and then wash them very well for a while. You run the risk of a little of the bug spray getting in the water when removing them from the tank back to the pond.
Thank you. I will try moving them to a container and hosing down. Someone suggested washing with a bit of dish soap and rinsing very well before placing back. Don't want to risk using bug spray that may hurt the fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, however I notice my fish do not eat or nibble at the water lettuce much at all. They are more interested in the algae that sticks to the rocks. What type of toxic plants do you suggest?
I think what he meant was to reconsider the use of any toxic plant in large numbers. IOW, consider NOT using them, in this case the WL.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@adavisus Concerning "toxic plants" and aphids..... I think I just put 2 & 2 together regarding my swamp milkweed. I don't know what it's called, but do know that milkweed does contain a chemical considered toxic. When I find oleander aphids on mine, I'll swish the leaves in the pond for the fish to eat the aphids. So, maybe.....I shouldn't do that any more???

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I believe that what Andrew (adavisus) is referring to is calcium oxalate crystals which are rod-shaped. Other calcium oxalate crystals (druses) are star-shaped. Calcium oxalate in high enough levels is very toxic to any animal. It is contained in many leafy plants that are very nutritious such as Spinach, Swiss Chard, Rhubarb and others. In addition to Water Lettuce (Pistia), the Duckweeds also contain calcium oxalate at levels of 2 to 4 percent of weight. At these levels, considering that Duckweed has been fed to fish as a part of their diet for decades with no apparent negative effects, these levels are evidently not toxic. I would think the same would be true of Water Lettuce (Pistia).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
I believe that what Andrew (adavisus) is referring to is calcium oxalate crystals which are rod-shaped. Other calcium oxalate crystals (druses) are star-shaped. Calcium oxalate in high enough levels is very toxic to any animal. It is contained in many leafy plants that are very nutritious such as Spinach, Swiss Chard, Rhubarb and others. In addition to Water Lettuce (Pistia), the Duckweeds also contain calcium oxalate at levels of 2 to 4 percent of weight. At these levels, considering that Duckweed has been fed to fish as a part of their diet for decades with no apparent negative effects, these levels are evidently not toxic. I would think the same would be true of Water Lettuce (Pistia).
Thank you so much for the clarification and enlightening me on the topic. I will keep my lettuce. It's the only shade I have for my fish. They would not be happy without it down here in FL. The bugs are not harming the lettuce (visibly at least) and it has not gotten worse. Their presence is just pretty obnoxious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Update:the bugs on the water lettice have pretty much vanished. I expect they will be an unwanted seasonal visitor in my pond.

Ask a Question