Water Lettuce Leaves

Reaction score
A few of my older WL have been getting this on the tips.
Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

It this normal or possibly something worth looking into? I'd say for the most part they are in partial sun. Was thinking maybe sun burn or just age.

Thanks, Kenneth.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You hit it right on the money, That's heat/sun damage. Not anything to worry about as far health goes. You could try turning down the heat a little, If you have any ideas on that I would like some suggestions. LOL Heat index here today, 115.

Reaction score
Ya, that's what I thought. Been pretty hot lately.

Hmm, Guess I'll go buy a bunch of cocktail umbrellas and tie one to each WL. LOL. But that would be a TON of umbrella's.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Was tempted to talk about water lettuce in the first lily bloom thread but withheld the temptation and decided to find this one and start posting here again.
Anyways I just received a nice shipment of 50 water lettuce plants off ebay and they look pretty good but have a little yellow on the leaves. I have them in some of my pond water in a plastic container right now to just let them settle a bit before I actually put them in my pond. I will watch how they develop and see how it goes as I have never had any before. Our well water measures at ph of 7 and I had adjusted my pond water w/ oyster shells awhile back to keep it there. I have not checked it lately to see if it is staying at the same ph but will soon.
Will be interesting to see how it goes w/ these plants in our rainy cool weather now.

IMG_1821.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I put mine into the pond I'm going to put them all together and take one out and let it grow by itself and see what happens. Maybe somebody else already knows?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you want the big plants you need to pull some of the babies off but not all, You want it to keep about three yound plants for balance. if your looking for surface coverage the more you break them apart the faster they will spread but most will stay slightly smaller. I've grown them grouped and in mass, In mass you get more plants, Signled out you'll get bigger plants but slower growth for the most part.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to know fishin. I'll try both ways since I have quite a few to work with :confused:

Reaction score
Yup, masses grow faster than singles. I am curious as to why tho. You would think they'd want to spread more with the extra room.

Trim the yellow leaves before you drop them in so they make newer ones.

Good luck and I hope you have a compost bin. You'll be tossing tons out once they start growing. Free dirt. =)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Was tempted to talk about water lettuce in the first lily bloom thread but withheld the temptation and decided to find this one and start posting here again.
Anyways I just received a nice shipment of 50 water lettuce plants off ebay and they look pretty good but have a little yellow on the leaves. I have them in some of my pond water in a plastic container right now to just let them settle a bit before I actually put them in my pond. I will watch how they develop and see how it goes as I have never had any before. Our well water measures at ph of 7 and I had adjusted my pond water w/ oyster shells awhile back to keep it there. I have not checked it lately to see if it is staying at the same ph but will soon.
Will be interesting to see how it goes w/ these plants in our rainy cool weather now.

IMG_1821.jpg

you are such a good girl! posting in the right thread! yeah jw!
I have one wl plant with three leaves lmao

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I thought you had a bunch of them addy :confused:
I saw someone on here that had a bunch they were thinning out..........now who was that.........can't remember.......brain farting again :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
none jw, but still have clear water, water lettuce is not the cure all!

Well except for one tiny wheeny lil plant that has three leaves. at this point could care less if it grows but if it does more power to ti.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
KennethO; When you separate the young plant from its parent, it has only a few roots to draw nourishment from the water, and it takes a while to grow more roots of its own. However, if the plantlet is left attached, it also draws from the usually much larger root mass of the parent, and therefore grows more rapidly. Before separating the plants, make sure they have a good root system. John

Ask a Question