Water Lettuce

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Will water lettuce multiple? In the past I put water hyacinth in the waterfall stock tank and know they will multiply. In addition to the water hyacinth this year I purchased 4 water lettuce. Wondering what to expect.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They send out runners that create new plants.

water-lettuce.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Will water lettuce multiple? In the past I put water hyacinth in the waterfall stock tank and know they will multiply. In addition to the water hyacinth this year I purchased 4 water lettuce. Wondering what to expect.
Oh yes..... If you have any nitrates they will be fruitful and multiply..... To the point of giving them away or throwing them away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
They send out runners that create new plants.
Thanks . How long did the plant take to start sending out runners? The water lettuce in your picture look great. With the water hyacinth I would pinch off the runners and the new plants would send out runners. I guess it would be the same with the water lettuce.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks . How long did the plant take to start sending out runners? The water lettuce in your picture look great. With the water hyacinth I would pinch off the runners and the new plants would send out runners. I guess it would be the same with the water lettuce.
Mine grow small plants around it's perimeter and when they are bigger they turn loose and you have more water lettuce

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just bought my first water lettuce last week, but I bought one that already had a runner with a small plant. Both have gotten a bit larger already. That pic I grabbed from the internet.

Ask a Question