water level dropping

Reaction score
Initially my level dropped about 1/2" a day, I attributed it to evaporation and splashing. For the last two days it has dropped about 1" so I think I have a problem somewhere. I would like to shut the pump down to determine if the problem is in the stream (45 feet long with two seams) or in the pond itself. Is it too early to shut things down and will I loose the beneficial bacteria that has been building up for the last few months? The weather is in the 60's but is suppose to drop to the 50's next week.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You could check along the stream, for any damming causing water to get over the banks

Reaction score
I did a check and found only a small spot that may or may not be overflowing. I fixed it a few days ago but the level still dropped.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any issues I have had, i.e. leaks, have been the stream, the water falls, a clump of algae, a clump of plant roots and poof water goes where it should not.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep and remember plants use up water when it is dry they use even more .I find my grasses when it is windy seem to drink up more water .Like addy says roots can cause more problems than you think .I had a root that grew out of the filter and into the ground along side the filter and the elephant ear on that side of the pond got huge and then found the root hanging over .I guess the grass and the elephant ear were helping each other .

Reaction score
Well I shut down the pump and the water level stayed the same so the problem must be in the stream. Yesterday I put in at least 100 gallons but there is no sign of where the water is going. I would expect to see a very wet area but there is none :banghead3:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I find if you can't seem to find the leak by wet areas use tissues stuffed loosely here and there because they absorb water fast and if one gets wet fast then that may be the area you look at closely .I buy a box at the dollars store or you can use toilet paper .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i one time, lost 6 inches of water, which is a lot, overnight! not one wet spot to be found. found
a small overflow with the preform, small overflow in a waterfall, roots, lots of water disappeared fast.

Reaction score
Well I turned on the falls and the water level dropped 2" which is well over 100 gallons. The ground is moist but it's moist all over the yard. I'm filling it now and will let it sit for a few days instead of just one. I'd rather have the leak or what ever it is in the stream it should be easier to find. I don't know what happened because it just stated all of a sudden. I'll keep the tissue idea in mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly water is a good escape artist if it can find a way to get out it always will one thing we learned about having a large Aquarium in the front room .
When after 22 years we first moved outside it was quite a move because we kept loosing it and in great amounts tracking it down to first our slide valve's then a year later to a leak in our bio filter since then its been behaved but you have to be patient and you will track it down to the exact spot eventually.
nowadays we know just how much we loose to evaporation and as such dont panic about it.

rgds

Dave

Ask a Question