Water Level Flucuation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It could very well be evaporation I noticed on my own pond here in the UK a drop of around 2"-3" during hottest par of the summer prior to all the rain weve been having since.
All you can do in reality is to check your filters Pipework and filters UV-C etc to see if there are any leaks , if you find one then act on it straight away .
Did you use a liner to make the pond itself if so it may be an idea to check it any holes if you find one drain the pond to the level of the leak then repair the pond.
But as I originally said its probably evaporation

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Even in this cooler weather, a windy day can easily evaporate a halt inch or so of water.
John

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
A few leaves in the wrong spot can sometimes make me lose water between my top and lower pond .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I find low humidity with a slight breeze just sucks the water right out of my pond. I don't have proof but I believe I lose more water out of my pond in May and September then I do in July and August. Since the humidity is so much higher in Jul and Aug it's harder for the water to evaporate. In the early spring and late fall, no such problem.

Craig

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Craig I have to agree. It seems I lose more water this time of year but I have no real proof. I just had to fill mine up as it was almost 3" low. I lost so much in the last week that I went out today to check and see if one of my creeks was damned up and flowing over the liner. Thankfully I did not find any leaks of any kind.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here Tmann, adding water every 3-4 days if it doesn't rain. Cold air (36 this am) warm water, 53 the water just leaves the pond. I can see the steam rising off the pond on the camera right now, little waves of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Addy I find it much easier to work in Celcius while you guys work the oposite with 53 f working out at around 15 c and 36 f coming out at around about 10 c whilst must of we brits work working Celcius
Celcius isnt as fiddley to work out whilst your way is lol

rgrds

Dave

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy I find it much easier to work in Celcius while you guys work the oposite with 53 f working out at around 15 c and 36 f coming out at around about 10 c whilst must of we brits work working Celcius
Celcius isnt as fiddley to work out whilst your way is lol

rgrds

Dave

will do my best to post in both !

pond 11.2 C inside house 19.4 C
outside temp 2 C right now lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've lost well over an inch off my pond in a single day because of the wind blowing water off my falls. Now that all of my water plants are shutting down for the Winter, the string algae has really picked up again, and was causing some blockage in the flow of water, which also caused a loss of about 1/2" of water a day until I got it figured out. That's one of the things about a new pond is that you have to figure out where things go wrong. After you find the problem areas, next year it will be much easier to spot-check those items.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No algae here, thankfully, just a heron...............

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But there is always something new that happens and in my case I had a leak and think it came from settling of the pond and after the earthquake I had a few more problems with a leak here and a leak there .I think freeze and thaw changes things every year also .I have always notice minor changes in my pond every spring .I know that whole side of the yard was disturbed when the basement was dug for the house ,but that was over 8 years ago and put the pond in there before the ground completely settled .Never thought about it and then you have to add in that the front porch was built and footings had to be put in for the 6x6's .My first pond was a preformed and that thing was a nightmare to keep level and then while I was building the front porch I was building the new pond .All that took place in 2007 .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think I saw one fly over yesterday when i was trimming trees and I thought it was one because of the length of the body and feet out the back and the really long neck .Funny thing is the vultures we have here went after it and kept after it until it was out of sight .I wonder if they just don't like herons or what was going on .I almost fell off the ladder watching the show in the sky .The vultures kept flying around it and at it .It did not seem to bother the heron though he just kept going .I have only ever seen vultures go after dead animals ,maybe they thought he was in there territory .not sure .I know I have seen vulture fight over road kill .

Ask a Question