Water level ph how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, I just tested my water and it came out at level 0.50 how can I fix this and can I save my fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
are you talking ph as that can be any where from 6 to 8 .Did you test for other stuff also .To raise ph you can use baking soda ,if I remember correctly

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just bough a anomia testing kit :/ to check, my koi didnt make it last night. How much do i add. And do I do it with the fish in there?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I did a water change yesturday to, I just hope I can save them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It is unlikely you have a PH of .50, are you referring to your ammonia level? Water changes and an ammonia binder will help bring the level down. Sadly, sometime fish do not recover from the gill burns they experience with high ammonia. Sorry for the loss of your fish :(

Reaction score
Country
Canada
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That test kit is for ammonia. I level of .50 is high enough to cause problems. Do they sell an ammonia binder, where you purchased the kit. I'm not expert enough to tell you how it works, but it binds to the ammonia, thus lowering the level. Perhaps @Meyer Jordan can help you, as he's very knowledgeable.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have no idea. I messaged him to see if he could help. i feel like maybe a water change :/

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeaah so i've heard. My mom is getting a bigger pond. This is only temp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hold off on purchasing any more koi, till your larger pond is finished. Do you have gold fish only at this point?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeaah, i changed the water and the amonia level is normal for now- they are in a diff container atm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Zeolite is a product that the pond store will carry that will adsorb ammonia.
It looks like small white rocks and you place it in the water in a mesh bag.
Sorry about your koi.

You would be better off keeping the goldfish in the original container though.
It has had water and ammonia for about 2 weeks now. It takes 3 - 4 weeks for the bacteria to populate the tub surfaces, typically. By putting the fish in a new container, you will be starting the cycle all over again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In my opinion I think you should just leave your goldfish alone. Goldfish are pretty hardy little fish. By fooling around with the pH you may cause more harm than good.

And as Mitch said, don't keep taking the fish out of the container. Just being caught and transferred back and forth repeatedly will stress your fish. I know you're anxious to do the best you can, but sometimes we just have to be patient and allow things to develop with time.

Ask a Question