Water Level Questions

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
After last weeks pond bank work I've patiently checked the water level using two different methods. The first was with the pond to a predetermined marked point with the pump and filter operating. In four days the level dropped six inches. For the second check I refilled the pond to the same predetermined marked point but this time with the pump and filter not operating. Again, I measured in four days. This time the level dropped only two inches. A difference of four inches. This result has me thinking there is a leak somewhere in the hoses.

What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
After last weeks pond bank work I've patiently checked the water level using two different methods. The first was with the pond to a predetermined marked point with the pump and filter operating. In four days the level dropped six inches. For the second check I refilled the pond to the same predetermined marked point but this time with the pump and filter not operating. Again, I measured in four days. This time the level dropped only two inches. A difference of four inches. This result has me thinking there is a leak somewhere in the hoses.

What are your thoughts?

Big Lou it may be a leak in your hoses but its hard to tell it could easily be a connector that is parting ways some where it may be evaporation dependant on your weather at that time or god forbid it may be a leak to your pond liner .
I Hope it isnt my friend and hope you get to the bottom of this asap .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Just a thought. Should I repeat both measuring methods to validate the initial findings?
That is a great idea big lou mark the level with chalk then repate it six hours later to see if there is a difference then again later in the day until you think you've reached or surpassed the level that you first reported to us ;)

Dave

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Dave I can tell you already that the leveling rate is slow. In six hours in may drop only by .50 inch. I like your idea. I will use both methods again but over a longer period of time. This should yield more telling data. Thankfully, we are due heavy rain this weekend so the tests must wait for dry weather. We have been in drought for more than two months, zero rain! Although it is autumn our daily temperature averages around 80 to 85f with peaks to 92f.

I can handle hose or fitting leaks but a bad liner leak will be a really big problem as we are not in the position to pay the kind of money a pro wants to find it nor the cost to rebuild the pond. Our fingers are crossed that it will be a hose leak. There is about 25 feet of hose with over 50% covered or slightly buried.

Hope your dear wife is better Dave. Goodnight.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The pond's shape is somewhat irregular so I will take measurements and get the figures to you. Thanks for the help.

In the meantime, make use of this link. It will give you an approximation of the seasonal evaporation rate for your general location. Keep in mind that these figures are for lakes and will be somewhat higher than those experienced by ponds. You can judge for yourself how much of your water loss may be attributed to evaporation.
http://www.twdb.texas.gov/surfacewater/conditions/evaporation/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave I can tell you already that the leveling rate is slow. In six hours in may drop only by .50 inch. I like your idea. I will use both methods again but over a longer period of time. This should yield more telling data. Thankfully, we are due heavy rain this weekend so the tests must wait for dry weather. We have been in drought for more than two months, zero rain! Although it is autumn our daily temperature averages around 80 to 85f with peaks to 92f.

I can handle hose or fitting leaks but a bad liner leak will be a really big problem as we are not in the position to pay the kind of money a pro wants to find it nor the cost to rebuild the pond. Our fingers are crossed that it will be a hose leak. There is about 25 feet of hose with over 50% covered or slightly buried.

Hope your dear wife is better Dave. Goodnight.
Big Lou sadly with the chronic arthritis and the chipped bone she is in alott of pain still so spends most of the day resting her leg my feind she is now waiting for physio prior to seeing an orthopedic surgeon am keeping everyone posted with updates .

Dave

Ask a Question