Water Lilies From Individual

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to buy some water lilies tomorrow from someone that is advertising them. They are in their pond. When I get them I want to clean them up before planting. I think I read somewhere that you can clean them in a 10% bleach solution. Is that true? Also, what about cutting off leaves? Is it a good idea to cut some off so more energy can go into root growth? Should the leaves be cut all the way back to the tuber? Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you buying potted plants or tubers? You can cut lilies all the way down to the tuber and even split the tuber in pieces. You just need each piece to have a growing tip.

I honestly never worry about plants - I’ve bought plenty of potted lilies and brought them straight home and dropped them into the pond. But that’s me - I like the dangerous life!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have just dropped things in the pond. Never have had a issue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my 10.00 haul today. The plants weren't potted, but were growing in mud/muck in the bottom of someone's pond. There really aren't any tubers on them so maybe they aren't real water lilies? The guy said they have a pink flower. In the picture a little off center you can see some white roots. The leaf on top is hiding the base/bottom of the plant. It just has long white roots. I'm thinking of planting these where the stems start coming out of the roots in kitty litter. I will put the base of the stems just at the top of the litter. I can get a better picture tomorrow of what I'm talking about. Does anyone have any idea what kind of plant this is?

Attachments

• 20200809_213551.jpg
    20200809_213551.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so I got my butt out of bed and took a couple of pictures. The small lily with the lump thing I believe is some sort of debris and not a tuber. It looks like the roots grew through it. The other picture you can see where the stems seem to grow out of the roots. Hoping someone can tell me what type of plant this is and the best way to pot it. Both are the same type of plant.

Attachments

• 20200809_224640.jpg
    20200809_224640.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200809_225830.jpg
    20200809_225830.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those look like tropical lilies, they grow from a bulb not a tuber. Don't try to get the bulb off thinking it is dirt. Plant the bulb right a dirt level, in kitty litter if that is what you want to do. Or tie to a rock and toss in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought kitty litter from Walmart is that ok for these? That's the only plant with a bulb. Maybe the others came off when they pulled them up. Also, I'm going to buy a cannas and a taro plant from Home Depot. Should I just put the pot in the water with the dirt or change it out to kitty litter?

Ask a Question