Water lilies from tubers/rhizomes

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have noticed that water lily tubers/rhizomes can be acquired relatively cheaply online compared to actively growing lilies. Is the lower price worth it, though? Do the tubers and rhizomes grow reliably? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think much depends on variety - some are very easy to grow and grow quickly (hence the reason they are the ones you most commonly see) and others - the more rare or expensive varieties, generally - would probably be a bit trickier to grow. Kind of like any other plant you can buy I guess - if they're easy to grow then they tend to be cheap and readily available!

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think much depends on variety - some are very easy to grow and grow quickly (hence the reason they are the ones you most commonly see) and others - the more rare or expensive varieties, generally - would probably be a bit trickier to grow. Kind of like any other plant you can buy I guess - if they're easy to grow then they tend to be cheap and readily available!
OK. Would a hardy rhizome or a tropical tuber be easier to start?

Ask a Question