Water lilies not growing...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So a month ago I bought tropical water lilies tubers online and planted them in my pond in kitty litter clay and some fertilizer tablets. The tubers produced little tiny leaves that stayed close to the ground and have been staying like that for more than 3 weeks now.

Why are they not growing? We got a little cold snap but still in the 60s last week (40s at night for 3 nights) but the lilies stopped growing before the cold snap.

I got several flowers from my other lilies now (hardy kind) but these tropical are just stunted. What can I do? IS the water too cold? (we are in the 80s lately and my pond got warm fast)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What makes me wonder about that is they say they can be in a pond but those temps are kinda hot for fish .Reason I have to shade my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks. I thought that too but water is quite warm about 70 F (I noticed today when I tried to move my fish between pond and inside tank. So may be the cold snap hold them back?

This week we will see 90s so I'll see if the lilies grow anymore.

I bought tropical lilies last year too and they grew in May, so I assumed they will be the same. These are different kind so may be since these are different kind they need warmer weather.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Temperatures in the 70s are not considered warm in regards to Goldfish or Koi. In fact, a Koi's immune system is not functioning at 100% until temperatures are between 75F and 80F. The nitrifying bacteria in your biofilters are not at full efficiency until water temperatures approach 80F. Koi begin experiencing problems when temperatures surpass 85F. Goldfish even higher.

Ask a Question