Water lilies planted directly in pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
I have a large pond with many hardy lilies. For several years I had them in pots which I fertilized regularly. Two years ago I decided to remove most of the plants from their pots and set them directly in the bottom of the pond, hoping that they would derive nutrients from the muck. Many of the plants did well and continued to flower but some have only produced leaves. I would like to fertilize the non-producers but can't think of a clever way to get the fertilizer into the submerged plant. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great question! I look forward to responses as I am newer to this and would like to do the same.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I believe there are some pond plant fertilizers that can be added to the water without causing an algae bloom. I started a plant only pond last year and was using Bloom Booster which is for garden plants. Ended up having to get fish because of a snail issue.

Jay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a large pond with many hardy lilies. For several years I had them in pots which I fertilized regularly. Two years ago I decided to remove most of the plants from their pots and set them directly in the bottom of the pond, hoping that they would derive nutrients from the muck. Many of the plants did well and continued to flower but some have only produced leaves. I would like to fertilize the non-producers but can't think of a clever way to get the fertilizer into the submerged plant. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Hello! I just read your question. I have different color water lilies in my pond which I have never thought about fertilizing. Each year, more water lilies are produced in vibrant colors. I have fish in my pond which I believe provide all the fertilizer my plants need. I hope this has been helpful.

Attachments

• The Three Lilies.jpg
    The Three Lilies.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 6

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turned some loose in my 1000 gallon pond, huge leaves huge flowers, also huge tubers. They will take over the bottom of the pond.

I put a layer of litter in first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Many thanks for your replies. I am a luddite, so don't know how to send or receive prompts regarding threads. I just checked this now and I see the recent replies.

I haven't been able to get any unscented kitty litter here in Vancouver--just found one bag a couple of years ago at Walmart but nothing since. I considered buying bags of playsand to pour around the base of plants but it tends to wash away so is not ideal.

In the past 18 months, I have introduced Shebunkins, which have done really well. The original three tiny ( 1" ) fish multiplied tremendously to the point that I had more fish than I could count--I estimated over 50 fish! Unfortunately, in the past 3 days a heron has discovered the pond and now I fear they are pretty much wiped out! Very disappointing. I can't protect them with a net as my pond is far too large--about 100' long by 50' wide and is a surrounded by homes. I'm hoping that a few fish will have hidden and can re-populate over time.

Ask a Question