Water Lilies with red leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have eight hardy water lilies. All leaves are red (burgundy or rust color). Previously, leaves were green. Any ideas?

Background. I live in northwest Oregon. I restored a pond in my courtyard. 7' diameter, 15" deep, about 300 gallons, waterfall feature running full time on dual discharge Little Giant 1,900 gph rated. One discharge goes to filter (with quilt batting for mechanical filter and bio balls for bio filter) then to waterfall. The other discharge goes straight to waterfall. Pre-restoration, 2 large plastic pots with water lilies were sitting near the surface with 2 to 3 wimpy green leaves each. Probably hadn't been touched in 5 to 10 years. I cleaned out the pond removing 14" of muck. During this process, the two pots sat out of the pond for 4 weeks with only 1 dowsing per day. They actually improved a bit. I threw out the pots but separated the lilies into 8 plants and planted in 4 pots this time 12" from surface. Used lily media for soil from local pond shop. Filled pond mostly with rain water. Green leaves grew quickly to surface. I needed to work on the pond so I drained it and left it empty overnight. Weather mild (high of mid 70's F). Next day, lily leaves turned mostly brown and dead or near dead. Refilled the pond by returning mostly the same water from barrels. New leaves sprouted and grew all the way to surface in four days. But all the leaves are reddish color. Zero green. Any ideas?

Attachments

• water lilies with red leave 20 Jul 2020.jpg
    water lilies with red leave 20 Jul 2020.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 308

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some that were green turned red, some are mottled, some are green. Just enjoy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have had plants turn red when exposed to more direct sunlight than necessary. I believe it's a defense mechanism to protect the leaves from sun damage (kind of like getting a tan on a person). I also have lilies that have some leaves that come up red and some that come up green, and in the past I had lilies that had leaves that came up red and would turn green with age.

In summation, I guess I don't really have any idea! But the leaves look to be in good shape.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One type of my water lilies have new leaves that come up red and then turn green after a while. Then later in the season, the new leaves come up green.
Lily pads.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And I have some that start out green and then turn red - all kinds of variety possible with lilies!

I do wonder how you have 8 lilies in 300 gallons... I have three in 2500 gallons.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do wonder how you have 8 lilies in 300 gallons... I have three in 2500 gallons.
Oh, I didn’t catch that! Perhaps it’s larger than 300 gallons. One of my “ponds” is a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. I think I would be doing good to have 2 lilies in there — but don’t because the area doesn’t get enough sunlight :(:cry:

Reaction score
Country
United States
@pondMensch - fill us in... how do you have so many lilies in a small pond?
See photos.
Details: 7 ft diameter, water depth 15 inches, actual volume of water about 360 gallons, surface area 38.4 sq. ft.
Hardy water lilies: I planted 8, 2 per pot. So 4 total pots. If leaves fill out to cover grouping of the 4 pots, that would total 6.25 sq. ft.

I got these 8 plants out of two pots that were sitting near the top of a foot of muck. Likely not touched for 5 to 10 years. When I separated the lilies, most of the pots' volume was rotten roots/rhizomes. I planted two small rhizomes each new pot.

BTW: Before restoration, I had about 125 yellow flag irises growing in the muck. Oregon considers these beauties to be aggressive, noxious, invasive species and strongly encourages not planing. I destroyed them.

Attachments

• pond I 24 Jul 2020.jpg
    pond I 24 Jul 2020.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 209
  • pond III 24 Jul 2020.jpg
    pond III 24 Jul 2020.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 378
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I once sprouted 20 lotuses and had the sprouts in two 35 gallon "ponds." XD That was a fun time.

Ask a Question