Water lilly flowers

Reaction score
I have a new potted lilly with pink flowers...however the flowers do not open fully before they seem to die off. Is it possible that I don't have it at the proper depth? Currently I have it about two feet below the surface.

Reaction score
Hey Lobo,
I don't have a lot of experience with lilies but I have had the same problem. Depth never seemed to really matter. This year the buds were being damaged by the turtle before they came to the surface. So, they didn't bloom fully. Last year I never fertilized and had few and poor quality blooms.

Reaction score
With the lillies... what sort of sun do they require? All day sun? Or would an afternoon sun beginning around 2 P.M. be sufficient? That's the main reason for the small pond that I am considering in my front garden, and I want to be sure it will not be a waste of time...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
one thing that will hinder the well being of water lillies is moving and splashing water, mine were in 15" of water and not great until i killed the fountain,and went with air pump instead for extra aeration. then my 11 pots of lillies covered my pond and kept an average of 15 flowers at all times, but they only open late morning til late afternoon. and they love sunlight,during rthe summer mine get 10 hours a day. 2 fertilizer tabs a month,and trim dead foliage within 2" of tuber, you will love them.

Ask a Question