Water lilly question

Reaction score
I confess to not knowing much about growing lillys . My fist one , small tuber with 2 pitiful pads from the local HD , Grew like crazy putting up pad after pad . Then it started flowering one at a time .

Now the production of pads has slowed down but flower production has increased . 4 open right now and more on the way . Normal or time to feed it ?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What is the name of it? I would say now is a good time to feed it but some will slow way down during the heat and then go through another burst when it starts cooling off again. Our James Brydon does this. It's starting it's blooming patten now and it will do that for about a month then go to almost no growth for about a month before goingb through another growth spurt in the fall. Most of the hardy vsrietyies would be ready for feeding right about now if your wanting continual blooming.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Use a pond plant tab to feed, they work great. Think someone else mentioned a tree spike also.

Reaction score
Name ? LOL. Its the white one . Came packed in moist potting soil in a plastic bag inside a plastic slurpee cup with a clear dome lid . Info on the cup " Hardy . White . Plant now "
$ 10 at Home Depot .

Will have to get some of those tabs , thanks.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've read that tomatoe sticks work really good too. They stick in the dirt easier and don't come all apart when they get wet as bad and you can use them just like Lily tabs. I prefer Highland Rim Aquatic Plant Tabs. Been using them for years and I like the results. I have a tendency to find something that works and stick with it. But sometimes changes are for the better, and I have to keep my eyes and ears open and not get stuck in my old school ways.....LOL

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
hardy white, that could mean many different variaties. But the key word is HARDY. It will come back year after year and some hardies do go through a growth spurt and then a blooming spurt. If it stops producing leaves stop feeding. wait for it to catch up, I would feed it now and see. as long as it's blooming or growing it's using nutrients. One tablet per pot once a month is plenty for lily's.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
hardy white, that could mean many different variaties. But the key word is HARDY. It will come back year after year and some hardies do go through a growth spurt and then a blooming spurt. If it stops producing leaves stop feeding. wait for it to catch up, I would feed it now and see. as long as it's blooming or growing it's using nutrients. One tablet per pot once a month is plenty for lily's.

Nice to know fishin, this is my first year in md with hardy lilies. They had some nice buds coming up when we left, hopefully they have not bloomed yet.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:

Good info . It looks healthy to me. Did not know if it was in need of feed or if it shifted its energy from growing pads to growing flowers .

Attachments

• PONDS 031.jpg
    PONDS 031.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 298

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Very healthy looking lily there. If it hasn't been fed in the last month, you may want to. But it looks like it is doing exactly what you descibed, going from leaf producing mode to blooms. If you want it to keep blooming like it is fert. tabs will keep it blooming for months. Very Nice!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ok, I have tried to help you with the lily, Please tell me your secrets on the snowflake, I have a yellow variaty and the white just like you have. Have them in both ponds and in several locations. I can't get them to bloom, They grew lots and lots of leaves and babies but only a very few blooms last year and have yet to see a single bloom from them this year. Yours look really nice! I can tell you don't have Koi in that pond! LOL I do have a area that has no fish, but mine still don't look that good.

Reaction score
No Koi , I want them but don't have a big enough pond or the resources . Yet . So Goldfish and plants for now .

No secret really . As posted before my son found several large patches of them in a local canal . They are lose in the wild in this area and considered non-native and invasive .

Without knowing any better I potted them in Scotts all organic soil no fertilizer . 4 to 6 inches deep from the water surface to the crown. They get full sun from approx 11 am to 2 pm , filtered from then on .

Either they like tke soil sun combo the get or maybe since the were harveted localy ( a mile away ) they are adopted to the conditions in this area .

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Do you use salt? I've wondered if that's what mine don't like. As for light, i have some that get all sun light all day, some that are in the shade all day and some that get about the same as yours. I have found the ones in direct sunlight grow bigger but they don't look as good as the ones that get filtered light. i;m hoping we can find out if we are going to stay living here or moving soon, I really want my plant pond to go back to goldfish only and build a pond for the koi but trying to wait as I would hate to build a VERY LARGE Koi pond only to findout I would have to take it right back down or leave it behind if we move. (which I hope we get to do!, I'm ready to head back to the smokies!)

Reaction score
I heard of using salt in ponds but still stick to table use only , well that and putting it in the water softener tank. Mybe the water in your case . Mine is pumped from a 80' x 120 ' " natural pond " . Came with the house , builder dug for fill to build the house pad . Tryed Koi in there 10 , 12 years ago .Predators had a field day !!

So no salt , part water changes from the natural pond every 2 - 3 weeks .

Ask a Question