Water lilly question

Reaction score
I have a tropical water lilly that was kicking out pads at a fast rate I had it on one of my planter shelves at about 16" deep. My other lillies are hardies and are all over 4 ft deep in the bottom of my pond. When I dropped the hardies to the bottom all the pads made it to the top within 3 or 4 days. I thought the tropical would do the same so I dropped it to the bottom and even after 4 days the pads were not even close to the top. The pads stayed under water too long and the koi started nibbling and they started turning black. I then pulled the tropical back to the shelf it was on before at the 16" mark and trimmed off all the beat up pads. It has been about 2- 2 1/2 weeks and this lilly has not put out one pad. It was doing so well before shooting out so many pads. Did I put too much stress on it by dropping it? Will it come back and start putting out pads again or is it done? Thanks you!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
tropical water lilies like to be closer to the surface, to get the best blooms and most blooms the crown should be no deeper than about 8" Most of the best ones I have blooming right now are about 5" below the surface. Also tropicals need feeding, once a month once the leaves reach the surface for best results.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
May want to carefully feel the crown of the plant, it its firm leave it, if it's mushy? :fish:
Well lets say you'll need to pull it and see how bad it is. It's rare but I have lost a couple over the years to some type of root rot. But really in most cases lilys are pretty tough.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The few tropicals I have are in real shallow water, we have been cooler here this year, they are slowly growing pads.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
tropical water lilies like to be closer to the surface, to get the best blooms and most blooms the crown should be no deeper than about 8" Most of the best ones I have blooming right now are about 5" below the surface. Also tropicals need feeding, once a month once the leaves reach the surface for best results.

Thanks Fishin I'll raise the pot even higher and see if that helps.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
The few tropicals I have are in real shallow water, we have been cooler here this year, they are slowly growing pads.

I'm going to pull it out and check the root like fishin said. Maybe the root is done. If it's good I'm going to bring it to 8-5" depth. We have been in triple digits, 118 yesterday, so the water is pretty warm.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The high temp I doubt will bother them, They like warm water. I don't like the sounds of the leaves turning black. Water temps here are staying right about 90 and air temps have been close to 100 for the last two weeks and all my tropicals are growing like crazy.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
The high temp I doubt will bother them, They like warm water. I don't like the sounds of the leaves turning black. Water temps here are staying right about 90 and air temps have been close to 100 for the last two weeks and all my tropicals are growing like crazy.

All of my others are just fine, it was just that one plant. I think they were turning into black or brown mush because they were under the water so long and the koi started eating them. You could see the marks in the places they tore off. That spot would then turn black or brown as the pad died off. My koi don't really mess with the pads unless their food goes underneath them, then I see them go under and mess with the pads to get the food out. All of the rest of my lilly's are coming up from 4 ft and they come up fast and healthy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nakish66 said:
I'm going to pull it out and check the root like fishin said. Maybe the root is done. If it's good I'm going to bring it to 8-5" depth. We have been in triple digits, 118 yesterday, so the water is pretty warm.

oh yeah i recall those days, it is hot there!

Ask a Question