- Jul 27, 2021
- Reaction score
I want to enlarge my water lily beds to roughly the sizes outlined in the picture. I also want to do this right the first time so I’m drawing on your expertise as I plan this. So here are my preliminary thoughts and questions:
1. What is the best depth for water lilies? The shelves in these areas range from 12”-20”. I can build up to make them more shallow but I can’t go deeper so hopefully the answer to my question is less than 20”.
2. What substrate works best? I have read on here pure clay kitty litter is the way to go. Anything mixed with it?
3. What depth of substrate?
4. Pots or not? I was thinking of building up the perimeter of each area with rocks and then lining the area with pond liner or geotextile to make it like one large pot.
5. Can you mix varieties in one area or will one variety ultimately outcompete the others?
6. What else haven’t I thought of that I should know?
Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your responses.