ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So I was at PetCo just exploring and looking at all the poor goldfish infected with ich, when I found these dried water lily bulbs in their live plant section. I'm tempted to buy them because all the lilies in my pond didn't make it through last winter because of the leak. What do you guys think? The bulbs seem rather small to me so I am wondering if they are tropical or dwarf lilies, especially since it says for use in aquariums and ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Must be a tropical if they aren't "winter hardy". But for $4.99, they might be interesting to see how they turn out. Hopefully they don't have ich spores....lol

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Oh wow, I didn't even notice that it said "not winter hardy" on it. I might buy one just to try it out. It does come with three per pack so it won't be much of a waste of money if they grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Can't hurt to try. Maybe if they grow well for you you could transfer them into an indoor aquarium. I want to look up that Latin name and see how deep they need to be. I'm curious now as I've never seen water lilies sold in a package before.

Reaction score
Keep your receipt just in case they never bloom and turn to mush instead. That is what has happened to me each time I tried the dried ones from Menards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Keep your receipt just in case they never bloom and turn to mush instead. That is what has happened to me each time I tried the dried ones from Menards.
TY for the advice Lisa ... Could just get them already growing from one of our local green houses. I have winter hardy ones that have been doing well for me for a few years now. Thought it might be interesting to see it the packaged ones are viable though.

Ask a Question