Water Lily Care

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! Looking for info on caring for water lily. Ours is flowering! So exciting to see a new flower coming through! I am curious how everyone manages the dead pads and dying flowers. I feel like I need to deadhead these but have no idea how to do that 3 ft down. How do you guys take care of these?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a long handled trimmer that I use.
plant trimmer.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I either ignore or wade in and groom off and on. or ignore.......mainly ignore. The plant matter gets eaten by the snails, the fish, the pond critters.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all! I am gonna look for that tool! Though leaving it for them to munch on sounds appealing. I dont have snails. Is that something I can buy and add to pond with the fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I do a bit of everything. I have that exact same trimmer, which I use primarily in the fall when the water is too cold for wading, but I want to eliminate the dying foliage from the lilies & other pond plants. Otherwise I use trimming the plants as an excuse to wallow around in the lovely, cool pond when summer temps are high. Or, I ignore the fading flowers if time & circumstances don't allow me to go wading (or trimming).

Ask a Question