Water lily experience....what can I say?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 This one is for you. I had to laugh, and I thought about you the whole time! Why? Because of all the water lily advice and help you've given me and everyone else on GPF. I guess "some of us don't pay attention!"

I've had my pond since 2012, and have had WL's the entire time. Every year I've dutifully repotted them, only to discover that there was never enough root growth and I didn't need to do anything. So this year I left them alone. But the pad & flower production was down and I hadn't fertilized them, so I dedicated yesterday afternoon for getting in the pond and adding fertilizer [ plus some other misc maintenance]. Hubby asked if I was going to take the plants out of the pond "like I do every year." Told him "no," because they've never needed it.

The laugh is on me! Lo and behold, the root masses in the 3 pots were so dense that it was almost impossible to insert the fert sticks.:confused: And one of the plants was literally growing OUT of the pot -- it looked like a pineapple and scared me at first since it took a few brain-minutes before I figured out what it was!:eek: What I wasn't considering is that last year they all had phenomenal growth output -- should have been a clue, huh?:rolleyes:

So, they all got fertilized, but separating and repotting are going to have to wait for another day.

Ask a Question