water lily flowers snapped off!

Reaction score
There is little disturbance in the pond other wise so I'm pretty sure it's being done from the shoreline. Also the bulbs of my water hyacinths were being munched on but I moved them to the center of the pond. The flowers usually stretch out within a foot or so of the edges. I have a ledge and then a drop to 3 feet. The pond isn't very big - 6 by 4 at the widest. I've attached a picture and yes, the two lilies that are in this picture are no longer there!

Attachments

• pond.JPG
    pond.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment! My questions, dieselplower, are: has anyone else had this happen? do you have any idea what it may be? mrsclem, I do not have koi only small generic gold fish - largest one is maybe 5 inches.

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My first guess would be a raccoon. I know from experience that they like to shred water hyacinths, and will rip off flower heads, but not eat them.
John

Reaction score
I thought probably it was the raccoons with the water hyacinths - they were a little shredded and bites taken out of the bulb part and when I moved them to the middle of the pond it stopped but I don't think they could reach the lilies.

Ask a Question