Water lily, how long does the flower bloom?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Since I got water lilies put in my pond, I got 2 flower buds now. I've never seen it bloom because it always bloom during the day time and closed up before I got back (5:30PM). Then I was hoping to see it bloom during weekend but after 2 days, the flower sunk under the surface and kinda, die off.....

Is this normal? 2 days? Both of the lillies were this way. It came out of the water for 2 days and then went under. Is there something I can do to make the flower last longer?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of mine bloom for 3-5 days, some less, some more. I have never really timed them since I have so many buds coming up all of the time. Mature plants, that might be the difference.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. ok, I guess next year might be different. This year they are still new :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine bloomed for just over 5 days .It bloomed on the 13th and and it was barely blooming on the 18th and by 1 pm it closed and sunk under water .I think the older the plant and the more fertilizer it gets the longer the bloom .Mine are in a little pond and get plenty of miracle grow .There are no fish in that pond .Beginning to think miracle grow makes the toads grow that live in there ,I caught 1 big one in there last night and took him far away to a new home

Attachments

• first water lily 7-13-15 012.JPG
    first water lily 7-13-15 012.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 717
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You all just need a husband who is home all day - he'll report to you on how many blooms you missed, what color, how great they looked, etc. Then you drown him in your pond.

Actually, I'm home all summer - gotta love the school schedule - so I do get to see my lilies bloom from June through August, but those early blooms are the ones we all wait for!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Listen. I married a really great guy. If he only knew how to FIND the toilet paper, he would surely change the roll! The other day I caught him extolling the virtues of our vacuum cleaner - I was mesmerized. He remembered every detail from the QVC segment we watched before we ordered it! Just don't ask him to get it out and show it to you, because, yeah...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You all just need a husband who is home all day - he'll report to you on how many blooms you missed, what color, how great they looked, etc. Then you drown him in your pond.
I drag mine down to the pond and say look look look!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I showed mine to my husband but he's away from home longer than I was :(

May be I really should get a night bloomer!!

Ask a Question