Water lily question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
this is my first full season with a liner pond. For 7 years we had a small preform. I always had my lilies in pots with clay soil. When my contractor installed our new pond, he planted the bare root lily into the river rock directly. I added 3 fertilizer spikes then, and three more this spring. Will it be ok?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The only problem I see would be if the fertilizer spikes leached out to the water, and caused the algae to really grow! If your water is clear, then I'd say your lilies are happy about the food! Can I assume the river rock is in a pot down under the water? I guess I was picturing it on the surface. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a couple of lilies planted directly in the Rick - no pot. I don't even fertilize them and they do great. As CE said you want to be careful adding fertilizer that could leach directly into the pond. But spikes are generally slow release so they shouldn't cause a problem.

Ask a Question