Water Lily Questions

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I purchased 5 water lilies in different colors at the beginning of the summer. They are all doing relatively well, but I have a couple questions about 2 of them.

I potted them all the same way, and fertilize them all the same. They all get about the same exposure to sunlight. Three of the five have really thrived, putting out a lot of beautiful leaves as well as blooming nicely. But I have one called Perry's Orange Sunset that has not bloomed yet. It has lots of nice, healthy leaves, and it even has 2 flower buds (one is still under water). But one bud has been up and ready to bloom for almost 2 weeks now. The bud looks like it will explode, it is so fat. But it just won't open. Is this some kind of problem? I don't think it will ever open, because it looks like it might be starting to lower into the water.

The second issue is with one called Lily Pons. It is just not thriving at all. It put out an AMAZING, single bloom about a month ago, but it only has about 8 leaves and it doesn't seem to want to grow any more.

These are both hardy lilies bought from a reputable grower on Koiphen. I have also put in a note to her to see what she says, but thought I'd also ask here.

Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My perry's took a year to really start blooming well. It is slower to bloom and blooms less than my others, but worth it, love the colors.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, I found that to be so true. About a month or so after I posted the question, this lily just went gangbusters! It bloomed and bloomed all summer long. Poor baby is freezing right now, as it's only about 28 degrees here today. Brrrr!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh…..I must look for Perry's Orange Sunsets……I need some good bloomers and am willing to be patient for them to establish:) Kim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Perry's Orange Sunset likes heat, it's quite quick to bloom where it gets hot midday sun and 80's.

The blooms can swing from pale lemon, through orange to crimson tones, quite variable with the season and the fertility

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Perrys_orange_sunset.jpg

Ask a Question