Water lily suggestions, please — looking for pads, pads, pads!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In your experience, what are a few hardy lilies that are great for putting out lots and lots of pads? I know that they are [usually] listed by how much area they cover, but I’m just not good at “guesstimating” when it comes to visualizing and figuring this out. So, thought I would just say, “I want lots of pads!”

I am hoping to reduce the overall number of lilies potted in the pond, in favor of less plants but with more output.

“SPREAD,” that’s what I was trying to say!

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@RobAmy That makes sense, that the plants would expend their energy with one or the other. I have (I think — or I HAD) 4 different hardies at one time — not sure which ones are putting out leaves right now, but I only get maybe a 3-4 ft. spread per plant, if that much, and never with a tight grouping of pads. None is an especially prolific bloomer, though. And I’m not sure, with one exception (Sioux), what I have. I probably orginally chose them for their compact spread — at the time thinking I wanted to have multiple plants, with a variety of blooms. Now, I’m thinking more like less actual plants, but with nice coverage — I’m getting old and lazy, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
TurtleMommy - are you looking for shelter and shade, mostly? I have a lot of something called Yellow Heart, I think. It goes nuts but pulls out easily when I get too much. It makes what I would call mini lily pads and seems to cover a lot of water surface.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have Texas Dawn a yellow flowering lily that puts out a lot of pads.

Also, have a pink flowering one called Mayla. Puts out a lot of large pads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
"Attraction' might be a suitable beasty
I have an “attraction “it blooms incredible and produces large fairly large pad not sure of spread because it is limited by all the other lilies I have. I have some unknown yellows that look like the ones that grow wild in our area and they are monsters if you let them have the space

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
I have a Black Princess that really expanded the 2nd year. Lots of pads, dense cover, over about 4 feet. Beautiful flowers, too. Looking forward to seeing it this 3rd year. Also love my Sioux! There are lots of pads, but they are smaller pads, so give more of a "dappled" shade underneath. The fish love to swim in there, though, so I can see them really nicely.

On a different note, I split 2 of my lilies last year, but this spring the roots are so dense I don't think I can get them out of the basket to split. Should I just leave them? Will they continue to spread outside the baskets?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a Black Princess that really expanded the 2nd year. Lots of pads, dense cover, over about 4 feet. Beautiful flowers, too. Looking forward to seeing it this 3rd year. Also love my Sioux! There are lots of pads, but they are smaller pads, so give more of a "dappled" shade underneath. The fish love to swim in there, though, so I can see them really nicely.

On a different note, I split 2 of my lilies last year, but this spring the roots are so dense I don't think I can get them out of the basket to split. Should I just leave them? Will they continue to spread outside the baskets?
If it’s the Sioux, then YES it will spread outside, LOL! That seems to be the only way my Sioux likes to grow — outside, and flowing over the pot!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Should I just leave them?

You can leave them, but you might regret it. Lilies can take over a pond very quickly. I've cut pots apart to get densely packed lilies out and then separated them with the blade of a shovel or even a pick ax. They are tough plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I have put another basket or pot with good soil next to one and let it grow moving the pot to allow lily.to root in the second pot the dividend in the fall. Sometimes it works great others only okay. But either way it helps to keep a big root ma' that collects any leaves from getting matted in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I want a black but need to thin out other to make room. My wife doesn't understand my obsession. But she love to show pond off when it is in full bloom. (n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Only my yellows have bloomed 2 on one 1 on another will be closed before I get home. I only really see the fully open is the weekends. Looks like I will have more by weekend. An attraction a yellow and a pink not sure they are all mixed together. Have good pad cover already.

Ask a Question