Water lily water temperature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
At what water temperature is it safe to place hardy water lilies in the outside pond?
My pond temperature is 53f now. I brought this lily inside to my tropical fresh water aquarium for the winter.
It's growing pretty well right now and I would like back outside.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave mine in year round, currently pond temp is 54 they are growing well. Leaves hitting the surface.

Put it where there is a lot of sun and shallow if you can.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Shallow isn't really an option for me. They're either at 18 inches on the deepest plant shelf or they're at 5' on the bottom.
Ice thickness as you know, can get to 2 feet.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you addy.(y)
I brought mine in for the winter. I guess that was unnecessary.
Just put them at the shallowest sunny spot. For the winter they need to be low enough not to freeze the tuber. But then again I have lilies coming back in my small preforms that did freeze to the bottom, go figure. And they are growing great, warm shallow water, around 10 leaves covering the surface already.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I leave mine in year round too. One did freeze this year but is growing good but not at the surface yet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mitch, you can drop your lily pots to the deep part for winter, and they should be fine. Then just hook onto them in the spring (when your ice leaves, that is ... ) and bring them up to the 18" shelf.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
At what water temperature is it safe to place hardy water lilies in the outside pond?
My pond temperature is 53f now. I brought this lily inside to my tropical fresh water aquarium for the winter.
It's growing pretty well right now and I would like back outside.

I would follow the same rule that is used for fish. When the water temps are about the same, it is safe to transfer the plants. Plants will experience 'shock' the same as animals.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would follow the same rule that is used for fish. When the water temps are about the same, it is safe to transfer the plants. Plants will experience 'shock' the same as animals.

I will probably transfer them to a bucket of aquarium water then leave that bucket outside to acclimate. The pond and tropical aquarium will never be close.
Thanks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will probably transfer them to a bucket of aquarium water then leave that bucket outside to acclimate. The pond and tropical aquarium will never be close.
Thanks.
Good idea!

Ask a Question