Water lily

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im new to the water garden scene just starting this year so far I have a fair amount of small hornwort, an iris, a water lily, 2 water hyacinth, and 2 sensitive plants that are floating. When I planted my water lily I used a very large holeless bucket and filled it with some soil mixed with clay and a small amount of aquasoil. I put gravel over top to keep the dirt in and I put 3 fertilizer tabs in with it. Within 2-3 days all the pads that had already grown from before it was shipped to me had reached the surface which was about 7" above the crown of plant and seemed to be thriving. The fourth day I decided to lower them to the deeper part of the pond about 28" deep and 19" above the crown, the lily continued to grow and developed new growth but its started to die since with some leaves turning brown, some edges curled up, and some stems have detached at the crown of the plant. What could be causing it to die? It's a very new plant only about 2 weeks since I got from LilyBLOOMS.com ( had about 4 lily pads already growing upon arrival but it couldn't see roots) I moved it back to shallow water this morning also. I can also upload better pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
Country
United States
No it shouldn't be. The aquasoil I used was a whole bunch of tiny beads and it's just under the gravel it might have slowly covered it over time I'll check it next time I go outside

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is there any new growth below the water level to replace the dying leaves? Mine turn over rather quickly so as long as there is new growth I wouldn't completely worry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use this and no I started when I put them in the deeper part these are tablets

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 217

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The depth shouldn't effect them. The only other thing I can offer is that I've been told (which basically means I don't know if it's true or not) but if you put fertilizer right up against the lily, it can "burn" it and create a problem. I'm not familiar with that fertilizer so if the rest of your pond and plants are healthy, I would think you haven't had an issue with chemicals getting into the pond and therefore it must be either the fertilizer or the growing tip was damaged. I would rinse them and put them in some fresh water and see what happens.
Maybe someone else will chime in with other options or answers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use just kitty litter and have not had any of those issues. Sometimes when my lily is a new one it takes a bit to recover from shipping and planting.

Ask a Question