Water lily's bought at lowes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I bought a few of those "drop and grow" water lily's they come in a little planter mesh bag. Iv read that a lot of people are having bad luck with them planted in the original planter mesh bag I dropped two in my pond about a week ago. One I noticed has significant leaf growth and the other is just starting to sprig out.

Im hoping they do well I did nothing other than the drop method. I am planning on buying a few more and actually buying a planter box and just to see how they differ I have high hopes.

Iv enjoyed watching my pond grow its own enviroment this past year got 2 water frogs moving in as well as my Koi and goldfish.

Ill get some new pictures up once I finish my new spillway.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
At least in my limited experience with drop & grow, the plant does well at first, but it doesn't take long for the roots to grow and run out of room in the bag, which slowly causes the plant to die. That's what happened to me. I probably could've repotted it to save it, but back then I had no idea.

The second one I bought, I repotted it and it did really well, still have the same plant in my 800g pond today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I had great luck with the ones I bought at Menards, but I didn't leave them in the tiny pots either. Repot them into something shallow (4-6" deep) and round (8-14" diameter) and use pure clay kitty litter if you can find it. Make sure it's unscented type. Only place I can find it any longer is at Wal-Mart. Use that as your planting medium. They need heavy clay. Then put a flat rock or two on top of it to keep your koi out and the roots IN. I use a 3.5 or 5 gal bucket, cut off the bottom 4-5" and use that for my pot. I get the buckets free at local grocery store bakery. They get their frosting and other stuff in these buckets, and give them away for free. Free is a great price! Good luck!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Plastic oil pans w/kitty litter (100%clay type w/no additives) work great w/some fertilizer added down deep. Better put some bigger rocks on top or the kitty litter will end up all over your pond bottom from the fish digging in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yeah maybe I will go ahead and replant them to make sure, because they are both taking off and doing very well. Im actually suprised at how fast they grow. Almost looks like a snake of ivy coming outta the bag. *thats what the leaves remind me of".

Thankfully I have off this weekend and do relieve a stressful weekend im going to work on my pond today thats always a stress reliever for me hopefully I can have it mostly landscaped by summer.

Thanks for all the info, the area I come from has a lot of natural clay would it be ok to plant it in that? In fact my neighbors has a pile of fill dirt in his driveway thats nothing but pure clay (sucks for fill dirt) hes told me i can take as much of it as I want just have to move it. Its just a red clay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, if you have access to pure clay, use it. The other is just easier to use, IMO, because it's like dirt at first. If your lilies are already growing, just be gentle to the roots. They are tough, don't get me wrong, but try not to break off the new growth. If you do, it will grow new stuff. :) Have fun! Working around my ponds is truly a stress reliever as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Im really surprised at how these are doing I now have 3 pads off one plant and the second I had to replant outside of the bag because it was growing internally in the bag and couldnt make it out of the bag. I have a few lil frogs that love to sing all night. I havent saw them get on the pads yet but I go out there and check (they dont seem to mind the flashlight) they do however help me sleep.

I should have listened to everyone that said replant them straight out of the bag but im stubbron and like to take my own approach. To anyone else Id say when you buy the lillies in the drop and plant bags just go ahead and replant them in a planter before you "drop and grow" makes it easier to do it from the beginning.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
As with any nursery stock, planting in a larger pot raises the cost of shipping, so plants are usually placed in the smallest containers possible. I'm alweays getting customers asking how long a certain plant will be OK in its little pot, and I always tell them the same thing: "Until you get it home!" Water lillies should be repotted in something the size of a dishpan (or larger) as soon as possible.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
The one caveat is that while they like the sun, some may sulk in the hot summer weather if your pond really warms up and they're getting blasted all day. I find this to be variety specific, but some just seem to really slow down and even have some of the leaves die off if they're getting too toasted.

Ask a Question