Water Loss...Need Some Advice

Reaction score
I just built a 7' x 9' pond 2 1/2' deep with a waterfall. To be honest, it turned out more beautiful than I had hoped. After 2 days, I realized the water level was dropping as it lost about 1". I shut off the waterfall thinking perhaps the liner was punctured/torn etc. Does water evaporation occur in ponds to that degree? After a few more days, I came to the conclusion that the liner was fine because the water level was holding steady. So I turn the waterfall back on and once again, after a couple of days, it lost another 1" or so.

I dig up the area around the waterfall mold and I realized that it is somewhat muddy around the plumbing that goes into the waterfall mold. Once again I turned off the waterfall. This time I turned it off to see if mold might be leaking. It didn't leak. Does that mean where the kink free tubing goes into the waterfall mold, there is a leak? If yes, any suggestions on how to handle it/what to do?

Someone please help me as it's been two weeks since I finshed and I'm still losing water!!!

If I can't figure out this issue, does anyone know of a company that does pond repairs near Baltimore, MD? Thanks, Tom

Reaction score
Very common for waterfalls to leak. Unfortunately I don't know what you mean by "mold" so I can't really help. And also these things can't be pin pointed in a text, has to be tracked down on site. But pictures would help.

You've already narrowed it down to the waterfall. You just have to use that same logic to keep narrowing it down. I'll say this about tracking down leaks...never assume. Water moves in strange ways.

It is possible to lose 1/2" of water per day depending on climate. MD in April I wouldn't think so. You can test by putting a straight sided container of water in the pond, or near by, and measuring the amount of evaporation.

Reaction score
Thanks WB. By "mold" I was incorrectly referring to the biofalls. A pond owner I know said "welcome to pond ownership" implying problems are the norm. Is she correct? I'll try posting pictures this weekend.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogswelcomev.gif
to our group!

If your piping is leaking where it goes into the waterfall mold, you can try to seal it with some of the pl black roofing cement. Put it on, let it dry well and it will seal the connection. I would apply on the inside of the mold and on the outside. Finding the wet area is a good indicator you have a slow leak at the connection. Also check around the waterfall if your water goes over rocks, you could have some splash or the rocks are directing the water out of the waterfall.

d8cdacfd-0203-4ec9-9a72-58091d07ec2.jpg

When you build a pond, there is usually something that need fixing, but in the long run it is very enjoyable to have one. My takes minimal care, but it took a year of building and tweaking to get there.

Remember your pond will also need to cycle, be careful about adding fish in a hurry, you will go through some algae and murk issues as it cycles.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the Forum

I put a liner under every water fall i make
its the only way i know my water wont be lost out side the pond

Wind is a big factor in water loss also

SE18

David V
Reaction score
water can be lost even with a liner under everything. If there's any concrete or stone lip or edging, water can seep out that way like a sponge

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you just recently built your pond the ground can still be settling on the sides and the bottom of your pond .I thought the same thing until i noticed my liner on the sides had moved at least 3 inches down after a month.My pond did not get done settling for at least 5 months and I have clay soil .I marked the liner all the way around and every time i looked the mark was under water .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomestars4.gif
Tom
Hope you figure out where its leaking. I put a large piece of liner attached to my pond liner under my waterfall and made that rubber lay up over some large rocks. My waterfall is actually a stainless steel filter tub so water only comes out over the lip of the tub. Never any problems that way.............knock on steel!

Reaction score
Thanks WB. By "mold" I was incorrectly referring to the biofalls.
I see, biofalls. A picture would still help. Earlier you asked "Does that mean where the kink free tubing goes into the waterfall mold, there is a leak?" which makes me wonder why you can't tell. To state the obvious, it's leaking if water is dripping from it which you should be able to see. So I don't think I'm following you.

A pond owner I know said "welcome to pond ownership" implying problems are the norm. Is she correct? I'll try posting pictures this weekend.
It can be. It's a relative thing. It seems to be very difficult and stressful for people who thought there was absolutely nothing to learn or do. I know a lot of people are told ponds are no effort. They don't have to be a lot of work, but some is needed, both in the learning and the doing. Unfortunately imo there's a tremendous amount of really bad info out there.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tom as another poster stated pics would help if you can't post any pics could you answer some questions. How big is your waterfall? Your liner can settle and it could be allowing water to leak out. Has it been windy? I would look very closely around your waterfall and look for a wet area and then try to trace it back.

Reaction score
i had a similar issue last year near the end of my pond construction, and it took about a month of the end of last summer and a month this spring to narrow it down. I basically deconstructed and reconstructed the rocks around the waterfall to make sure the liner was high enough, water wasn't splashing above the liner, etc. i still lose some to splashing and wind though because the rocks at the base of the water fall are really close to an edge of part of the pond. but i have reduced water loss from about an inch per day to about 1/8" per day.

Ask a Question