Water loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two interconnected ponds, the smaller pond 3.672m2 feeds the upper larger pond 6.9m2 and a waterfall returns flow to the lower pond. During the course of 24hrs the lower pond falls by 1cm approx with the pond pump running for one third of the time ie 8hrs. When the pump is off a non return valve keeps the upper pond at a constant level.

i was wondering whether 1cm loss in 24hrs to the smaller pond is fairly typical in the summer? It seems a lot but water is evaporating over the surface area of two ponds and there is also the waterfall to consider. Any comments much appreciate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Water loss is individual to each pond - evaporation, splashing, exposure, wind, total volume, surface area, and for me at this time of year - plants. They take up LOTS of water. So what you'll learn to estimate is what's normal for YOUR pond.

Clarify one thing - do you run your pump 24/7 or just 8 hours a day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water loss is individual to each pond - evaporation, splashing, exposure, wind, total volume, surface area, and for me at this time of year - plants. They take up LOTS of water. So what you'll learn to estimate is what's normal for YOUR pond.

Clarify one thing - do you run your pump 24/7 or just 8 hours a day?
Very interesting and there are lots of plants! The upper pond is almost half covered in water lilies. One cm per day water loss seen in lower pond is making sense. I only run the pump 8 hrs a day since this is what the previous owners of the property used to do. What would you recommend?
E27AD792-2441-4418-81C9-CC2B3C924548.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you have fish? If you have a biological filter, then your pump needs to run 24/7. Otherwise the bacteria that colonize the filter will die off when the water isn't flowing.

But if this is just a water feature, then you can turn the pump on and off at will.

Very pretty by the way!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have fish? If you have a biological filter, then your pump needs to run 24/7. Otherwise the bacteria that colonize the filter will die off when the water isn't flowing.

But if this is just a water feature, then you can turn the pump on and off at will.

Very pretty by the way!
We have Golden Orfe’s. There is a biological filter and uv and thanks for the advice re run time. It does looks wonderful in the summer especially when the lilies have flowered.

Ask a Question