Water loss

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
How much water loss is acceptable per week in your opinion? Just an average climate. I always thought I may have a leak but I recently bought a turtle aquarium and probably loose 1 1/2 to 2 inches a week from evaporation in a controlled environment.

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How big/deep is the aquarium?

1 - 1.5 inches a week happens in my old 75G and in my 900G pond. I woudn't worry, and I would increase your water changes (frequency/volume) during the hot summer months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much do you all lose a week in your ponds?
Hi I just joined this forum 5 mins ago literally. I came for that exact same reason. 2 years ago I purchased a home that had a pond it's about 200 gallons. The past 2 years it wad never active. But it wad full of water the whole time of course dirty murky water with debris and stuff in it. I cleaned it out this past weekend the shell looks fine and filled it up with fresh water. Hooked up a filter and pump this past Saturday, today Friday the pond is nearly empty? I don't understand what's happening as in the past 2 years the pond was filled with water. Is it the pump? Which the water returns on a water of rocks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi I just joined this forum 5 mins ago literally. I came for that exact same reason. 2 years ago I purchased a home that had a pond it's about 200 gallons. The past 2 years it wad never active. But it wad full of water the whole time of course dirty murky water with debris and stuff in it. I cleaned it out this past weekend the shell looks fine and filled it up with fresh water. Hooked up a filter and pump this past Saturday, today Friday the pond is nearly empty? I don't understand what's happening as in the past 2 years the pond was filled with water. Is it the pump? Which the water returns on a water of rocks?

Sounds like you have a leak in your plumbing. How does the water from the pump return to the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What’s under the rocks? Post a photo?
So yesterday I refilled the pond and pulled the hose where it goes directly into the water fall instead of pouring out of the rocks. Today when I got back home the water level was down again at least a 4 inches overnight. It did look like water outlet was a little wet but I don't think enough for that much water to disappear. So I put those small metal fastners on to see if that helps other wise I have some crack in the shell but I've been looking and can't seem to find it.

Attachments

• 20220604_124256.jpg
    20220604_124256.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220604_124237.jpg
    20220604_124237.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220604_124213.jpg
    20220604_124213.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you see that ring line which is pollen that is where I filled it to yesterday. Today that is how low the water is within 24 hrs.
Got it. Did you inspect the whole hose and all connections?

Has it been sunny/windy? Do you know how to do the bucket test for evaporation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
With the pump/ filter off overnight, how much does the water level go down? Even a little damp at a hose connection can add up overnight.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Has it been sunny/windy? Do you know how to do th55e bucket test for evaporation?
Everything eeee

Has it been sunny/windy? Do you know how to do the bucket test for evaporation?
No I don't know how to do the bucket test. I live in Central PA it's been about 80 to 90F this past week yesterday was 82F. I did check the hoses I didnt find anything there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With the pump/ filter off overnight, how much does the water level go down? Even a little damp at a hose connection can add up overnight.
I never turned the pump off I've ran it all week since filling the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like the a crack maybe in the shell but when I drained it to clean it before filling I didn't see anything. The shell is pretty thick so I thought I'd be able to spot it. If it drains low in the next few days I will drain it completely and look pull the pond and fill to look for leaks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Turn off the pump for 24 hours. Put a 5 gal. bucket in the pond filled with water to the same level as the pond water. Mark the waterline inside and outside the bucket. After 24 hours, compare levels.

If water in bucket is same level as water in pond, it’s either evaporation, or leak is in the plumbing or waterfall.

If water in pond is lower than water in bucket, then you have a leak in the pond.

Ask a Question