water lossage concern

Reaction score
I have a new pond I just put into service about a month ago. This is my first pond like this. My concern is, its losing water. The pond is about 250 sq ft. Average depth is 30". I have a waterfall that starts about 5' high and runs for about 8' down over some rocks and rapids and ends up going over a waterfall thats about 24" wide and is about 18" above the pond. There is 5000 gph of water going over the falls. The weather lately has been mid to upper 70's and between 20 and 55% humidity. Now I have lost 2.5" of water in a week. Based of these factors do you think I have a leak or is this just normal water vaporization.
Thanks for any help
Bart

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With that much flow most likely evaporation. But water falls, rock and rapids create splash, side tracked water, check real carefully and make sure you are not getting a nice wet spot that is caused by the splash, side tracked water.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bart I believe you said that your liner was ballooning up after a rain the other day. This is probably what is causing your water level to drop. I get water under my liner after heavy rains as well and once it begins to finally drain through the hard clay after a few days my water level will drop a few inches.

My pond is a pretty good size and I have a waterfall that has a 5' drop and is about 15' long as well as two other creeks one is about 2x25' and the other is about 2x8'. It is quite windy where I am at so that adds to my evaporation, my falls face south and the pond gets quite a bit of sun (waiting on my trees to get bigger to shade the pond). Some weeks during the really hot summer when it reaches about 90 degrees with 90% humidity my water level will drop about inch in a weeks time. My sprinklers also help keep it full as they hit parts of my creeks.

Ask a Question