Water movement with gravity ?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello,

I am building a rill pond with a water blade. It will not contain any fish.

Can you tell me if it is ok to have water not moving in the pond - will it have an impact on anything ?
Is it possible that I can decide automatically to either move the water out of the blade or have it moving through another inlet feed without it coming from the water blade ?

The reason I am asking is because I dont want the water coming out of the blade 24*7 and if possible I dont want to have to run the pump 24*7

Is their any gravity systems out their that allow water to circulate by itself without the need of having a pump ?

Sorry but for some reason I am not able to upload any photo's

Thanks in advance

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your water quality may not be good but if you add a aerator with several air stones that may solve that .Are you going to have plants in the pond ,if you are they may need fertilized .You could also divert the water with a splitter that sends the water to the wheel and when you turn it it will just run into the pond

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks Sissy I will look at them. No the rill pond will not have any plants. It will be painted blue like a swimming pool colour and have 2-3 stepping stones in the middle of it.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Without chemicals it will eventually be a green water puddle.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Algaecide will work since nothing living in it .I wonder if salt would keep green away if there was enough of it .You could try things until you find what works .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello,

I am building a rill pond with a water blade. It will not contain any fish.

Can you tell me if it is ok to have water not moving in the pond - will it have an impact on anything ?
Is it possible that I can decide automatically to either move the water out of the blade or have it moving through another inlet feed without it coming from the water blade ?

The reason I am asking is because I dont want the water coming out of the blade 24*7 and if possible I dont want to have to run the pump 24*7

Is their any gravity systems out their that allow water to circulate by itself without the need of having a pump ?

Sorry but for some reason I am not able to upload any photo's

Thanks in advance

In answer to your primary question: No. There is no gravity fed system that will continuously circulate water without the aid of a pump.
Since this will evidently be strictly a Decorative Water Feature, there is no need to operate any pump 24/7. As Smaug pointed out, there will be some issue with algae but basic swimming pool algaecide will correct this problem. Otherwise, you will need to watch for breeding of mosquitoes as they are attracted to still, non-moving waters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hate to say this but have pump and filter in my 300 gallon stock tank and had to empty it today because of mosquito larvae .I had a 300 gph pump in there and put mosquito dunks in a week ago again and they seem to have no effect on them .Wonder if they could become immune to the dunks after awhile

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mosquitos come out of my pond all the time. There is always somewhere for them to lay.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
In answer to your primary question: No. There is no gravity fed system that will continuously circulate water without the aid of a pump.
Since this will evidently be strictly a Decorative Water Feature, there is no need to operate any pump 24/7. As Smaug pointed out, there will be some issue with algae but basic swimming pool algaecide will correct this problem. Otherwise, you will need to watch for breeding of mosquitoes as they are attracted to still, non-moving waters.

Toss in a couple of mosquito dunks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mosquitos come out of my pond all the time. There is always somewhere for them to lay.
We have had zero mosquito issues since we put in the ponds. I have never seen them in my ponds, but do find them if standing water is left around. Right now, with all this rain, I am sure there is standing water somewhere that is breeding the blood suckers.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never said it was a bad issue. Ive been outdoors enough to know that ANY water can and does produce skeeters.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are part of nature. I am pleasantly surprised we never get bothered by them. I think all the pond critters help control the biters. Flies crickets etc are a lot more scarce since the pond was put in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just brainstorming here, but what if you had a hose with the inlet in the bottom of the pond and an outlet into the top of the pond, used a shop vac to cause a siphon and then let water siphon from the bottom to the top continually? Unless the hose in the bottom gets clogged I would think it would circulate? No?

Poorly drawn example
siphon.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just brainstorming here, but what if you had a hose with the inlet in the bottom of the pond and an outlet into the top of the pond, used a shop vac to cause a siphon and then let water siphon from the bottom to the top continually? Unless the hose in the bottom gets clogged I would think it would circulate? No?

Poorly drawn example
View attachment 90906

In your scenario it would be impossible to create a siphon. As Smaug stated the outlet must be lower in elevation than the inlet.

Ask a Question