sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
MY tub I use has a 200 gph pump that I had hanging around here and I just use a crate with lava rock and right now quilt batting .No fish in it yet but have used it every year for about 5 years
100_7729.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep from tractor supply .I got several stock tanks at a home auction a couple of years ago for almost nothing .I have even put the pump in the crate with lava rock around in dollar store laundry bags .Just pull and hose it off and fountain head goes on the pump with no top on it to aerate the water .I just make sure it is just above the water surface

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm not currently up, MJ, but I should be pushing around 250- 275 gph from main filter.

250-275 gph is more than a sufficient flow rate, in fact it may be a little too much for that size container. @sissy's pump size of 200 gph is more appropriate.
Fish load is the most important factor. How many fish are you planning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
I
yep from tractor supply .I got several stock tanks at a home auction a couple of years ago for almost nothing .I have even put the pump in the crate with lava rock around in dollar store laundry bags .Just pull and hose it off and fountain head goes on the pump with no top on it to aerate the water .I just make sure it is just above the water surface
I got mine from TSC also.
I made an internal filter that I'm confident in. I'm also having a smaller pump pushing through lava that feeds mini waterfall/spitter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
250-275 gph is more than a sufficient flow rate, in fact it may be a little too much for that size container. @sissy's pump size of 200 gph is more appropriate.
Fish load is the most important factor. How many fish are you planning?
I was hoping for a dozen. But understand that may be pushing the limits a bit.
I also will be pushing 100-125 gph through lava on way to waterfall/spitter.
Overkill?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I

I got mine from TSC also.
I made an internal filter that I'm confident in. I'm also having a smaller pump pushing through lava that feeds mini waterfall/spitter.

You do not want to have too large of a flow rate, especially in a container this small. Water velocity must be considered. Too high and it will stress the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
You do not want to have too large of a flow rate, especially in a container this small. Water velocity must be considered. Too high and it will stress the fish.
I see. Ive got dozens of pumps laying around, so switching out shouldn't be a problem.
I want a turnover of roughly 2 times an hour, correct?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I see. Ive got dozens of pumps laying around, so switching out shouldn't be a problem.
I want a turnover of roughly 2 times an hour, correct?

Yes, a turnover rate of 1.5 - 2 times per hour is recommended. Flow rates higher than this can prove to be stressful to the fish. It should be pointed out that this applies to total water fed to the biological filter. A separate flow to a spitter, waterfall, etc. that bypasses biofiltration does not count.
12 goldfish may be pushing the ability of your system to provide proper support unless you oversize the biofiltration capabilities.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That may be to many fish also ,they will get bigger and have babies .Go for fat fantails .Mine have never had babies that I know of since 2004

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
Yes, a turnover rate of 1.5 - 2 times per hour is recommended. Flow rates higher than this can prove to be stressful to the fish. It should be pointed out that this applies to total water fed to the biological filter. A separate flow to a spitter, waterfall, etc. that bypasses biofiltration does not count.
12 goldfish may be pushing the ability of your system to provide proper support unless you oversize the biofiltration capabilities.
Gotcha.
The waterfall/ spitter would go through its own filter as well. Batting, sponges, lava. Turning over .5-.75 total pond per hour.

Thanks for your help, MJ.

Ask a Question