Water overflow

Reaction score
What do people do to relieve water overflow? When I have a lot of rain I find myself running out to the pond syphoning water out of the pond a lot (sucking on a garden hose...yuck). Is there a sump pump type device that would pump the water out when it reaches a certain level? I have seen devices that will automatically re-fill a pond.

Reaction score
My pond was installed with a small drain which sits in a small garden off to on side and a PCV pipe installed into the TOP of pond and runs under the ground but I'm not sure where it goes. I did not build it. This has worked for me. The PCV installed into the top of pond stops most of it..

Reaction score
I have my pond set up with a slight pitch that any overflow will discharge into a burried 2 .5 inch PVC pipe that draines into a french type drain ( Basically a pit filled with gravel

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you can put a 2" pvc pipe at the edge of your pond ,,with a 1/4 turn 90 and a shower drain on top of it,, and gravity feed the water out away from the pond ,,,It will be just like a water change every time it rains..

Reaction score
I do not know if you have a skimmer. If you do, you can put an overflow pipe in the side of the skimmer, just above the high water mark (that you determine). Mine runs under ground and away from the pond and discharges out in the yard.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did install a piece of drain pipe in a spot that I believe is the low spot of the pond. I have not allowed the water level to get to a point that it overflows yet. I am afraid that I will still get material washing out.

Reaction score
MassKoi I covered my pipe with a plastic mesh screen to prevent items from washing out that shouldnt

Ask a Question