water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm new to all this we recently bought a new house and there was a po d in the garden it looks like it was expertly done with no expense spared but the water is browny green and sludgy how do I get this clear

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you're going to keep the pond running, you will need to buy a water master test kit, suggest the master kit from API. It should be available from your local pet store or pond retailer.

Does the pond have a filter system running, and can you tell us what it is?
Also, if you can post a picture of the pond and filter system, it would help us help you.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Need to know a few details about the pond---
Capacity (in gallons)?
Filtration?
Flow rate (Pump size)?
Number (and type) of fish?
Aquatic plants?

That's for starters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has an oase filter with uv but when I opened it up today it was full of sludge and stunk. There isn't any plants in there but there is a few koi.

Attachments

• 1439486388464.jpg
    1439486388464.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 1439486497223.jpg
    1439486497223.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 218

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First obvious course of action is to clean the filter. This will accelerate clearing of the pond's water.
Is there a noticeable amount of sludge/muck at the bottom of the pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is whay most don't have pressure filters as there only source of filtration .I only use them on my stock tanks and even then they have to be back flushed 2 or 3 times a week when i have baby fish in them.also koi produce a lot of waste and the more you feed the more waste .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cleaned it out and flushed , but yes there is thick sludge in the bottom and on the sides

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks for posting those pictures.
It sounds and looks like the pond has been neglected for some time.
You will need to clean the filter and let it run quite a few times before there will be any noticeable change in the water clarity. Depending on how dirty the water is, you may need to do this every couple of days.
If you could get some water test numbers and post them back here in the meantime, that would be great.
I would leave the sludge alone for now.
How deep is the pond?

Reaction score
I'm guessing you need a new uv bulb they should be replaced about every year and a half. If you do get a new one make sure that it is low pressure. A new bulb won't clear up the sludge but should make the water clear and keep it that way. You might want to consider a complete water change and start fresh if the pond is really mucky. There are reasons not to change the water but it all depends on how long it was neglected.

Ask a Question