Water problems dying fish

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My pond is approximately 800 gallons. There are 2 bio filters and lots of aeration. Until April I have 14 large goldfish that I have had for 10 years. Slowly they started dying. I noticed them at the surface getting air. After over half of them died I drained 3/4 of the pond and added tap water. The remaining fish (6) seemed to "perk up" but then they all died. My pond plants are fine and cover less than half of the pond. The water has turned green and I am now thinking I should drain it, clean the bottom and rocks and start over. I have had my pond for 15 years and have never had this problem but I am wondering what needs to be done without waisting money on more chemicals. So my questions are:

Could there be something in the bottom that is causing the fish to die or perhaps a toxins?
Should I just drain the entire pond, clean it and start over?
I read where barely bas might help or filtering the water using a carbon filter paper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have you tested your pond water? Taking into account that you only have Goldfish and this is an unexpected algae bloom, I tend to think that you have had an Ammonia spike.
Have you added any pond treatments recently or modified your biofiltration?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My pond is approximately 800 gallons. There are 2 bio filters and lots of aeration. Until April I have 14 large goldfish that I have had for 10 years. Slowly they started dying. I noticed them at the surface getting air. After over half of them died I drained 3/4 of the pond and added tap water. The remaining fish (6) seemed to "perk up" but then they all died. My pond plants are fine and cover less than half of the pond. The water has turned green and I am now thinking I should drain it, clean the bottom and rocks and start over. I have had my pond for 15 years and have never had this problem but I am wondering what needs to be done without waisting money on more chemicals. So my questions are:

Could there be something in the bottom that is causing the fish to die or perhaps a toxins?
Should I just drain the entire pond, clean it and start over?
I read where barely bas might help or filtering the water using a carbon filter paper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry

I did add biogrowth as per my pond store. I had been using a water clarifier. I felt down to the bottom of the pond and there was quite a bit of black silty substance.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How thick would you estimate this sediment layer to be?
Explain "had been using a water clarifier" Was this a dechlor?
What is biogrowth? Unfamiliar with that product.

It was a dechior and I am calling it biogrowth but I was told that I needed to add this product to build up the good working bacteria.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It was a dechior and I am calling it biogrowth but I was told that I needed to add this product to build up the good working bacteria.

Silt on the bottom is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Although not necessarily the cause of your problem, but a 10 year old pond does not need any bacteria added, The pond already supports the maximum possible population and if this was the powder form of bacteria it would contribute next to nothing to the nitrification process.
Do you have a test kit?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Have you tested your pond water? Taking into account that you only have Goldfish and this is an unexpected algae bloom, I tend to think that you have had an Ammonia spike.
Have you added any pond treatments recently or modified your biofiltration?

I did test the water and barely recorded Amonina level. Ph Was high around 7.5-8.0 but I was told that goldfish like that.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Would draining the pond, cleaning it be of any value or would I be destroying what is there?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did test the water and barely recorded Amonina level. Ph Was high around 7.5-8.0 but I was told that goldfish like that.

When did you do this test? Was it before or after the fish died and what was the time difference between the test and the die-off?
7.5 - 8.0 is not a high pH for either Goldfish or Koi since their preference is 7.4 - 7.6.

Do not drain the pond without first determining the source of the problem. There are no fish left in the pond, correct?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When did you do this test? Was it before or after the fish died and what was the time difference between the test and the die-off?
7.5 - 8.0 is not a high pH for either Goldfish or Koi since their preference is 7.4 - 7.6.

Do not drain the pond without first determining the source of the problem. There are no fish left in the pond, correct?

I tested the water after all of the fish died. I only tested for Amonia and PH. Amonia was negligible and Ph normal. After reading some responses on the forum I replaced the sponge filters with fibre fill to see if that helps to clear up the water. I removed most of the plants with the exception of 2 large ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
If you have fish dying and green water then the nitrite, nitrates and phosphate levels are important too. Taking plants out is probably counterproductive, and massive water changes can push you into New pond syndrome. Vacuum the bottom, but don't suck up more than 10 - 20% of the water each week. When you clean your filter elements the goal is to keep them unclogged not "clean", and don't rinse them with chlorinated water.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Great suggestions. I will have to do 2 things, buy a test kit and a vacuum. Thanks!

Ask a Question