Water problems dying fish

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Gerry, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Gerry

Gerry

My pond is approximately 800 gallons. There are 2 bio filters and lots of aeration. Until April I have 14 large goldfish that I have had for 10 years. Slowly they started dying. I noticed them at the surface getting air. After over half of them died I drained 3/4 of the pond and added tap water. The remaining fish (6) seemed to "perk up" but then they all died. My pond plants are fine and cover less than half of the pond. The water has turned green and I am now thinking I should drain it, clean the bottom and rocks and start over. I have had my pond for 15 years and have never had this problem but I am wondering what needs to be done without waisting money on more chemicals. So my questions are:

Could there be something in the bottom that is causing the fish to die or perhaps a toxins?
    Should I just drain the entire pond, clean it and start over?
    I read where barely bas might help or filtering the water using a carbon filter paper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gerry

Gerry, Jul 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Gerry

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Have you tested your pond water? Taking into account that you only have Goldfish and this is an unexpected algae bloom, I tend to think that you have had an Ammonia spike.
    Have you added any pond treatments recently or modified your biofiltration?

Meyer Jordan, Jul 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Gerry

Gerry

I did add biogrowth as per my pond store. I had been using a water clarifier. I felt down to the bottom of the pond and there was quite a bit of black silty substance.

Gerry, Jul 14, 2017
  4. Gerry

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

How thick would you estimate this sediment layer to be?
    Explain "had been using a water clarifier" Was this a dechlor?
    What is biogrowth? Unfamiliar with that product.

5. Gerry

Gerry

It was a dechior and I am calling it biogrowth but I was told that I needed to add this product to build up the good working bacteria.

Gerry, Jul 14, 2017
  6. Gerry

Gerry

Silt on the bottom is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.

Gerry, Jul 14, 2017
  7. Gerry

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Although not necessarily the cause of your problem, but a 10 year old pond does not need any bacteria added, The pond already supports the maximum possible population and if this was the powder form of bacteria it would contribute next to nothing to the nitrification process.
    Do you have a test kit?

8. Gerry

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Not enough to be concerned about.

9. Gerry

Gerry

I did test the water and barely recorded Amonina level. Ph Was high around 7.5-8.0 but I was told that goldfish like that.

Gerry, Jul 14, 2017
  10. Gerry

Gerry

Would draining the pond, cleaning it be of any value or would I be destroying what is there?

Gerry, Jul 14, 2017
  11. Gerry

Lisak1

Sorry to hear about your fish @Gerry - stick with @Meyer Jordan as he walks you through the process of determining what might have happened. He is very knowledgable and willing to help.

Lisak1, Jul 14, 2017
  12. Gerry

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

When did you do this test? Was it before or after the fish died and what was the time difference between the test and the die-off?
    7.5 - 8.0 is not a high pH for either Goldfish or Koi since their preference is 7.4 - 7.6.

Do not drain the pond without first determining the source of the problem. There are no fish left in the pond, correct?

13. Gerry

Gerry

I tested the water after all of the fish died. I only tested for Amonia and PH. Amonia was negligible and Ph normal. After reading some responses on the forum I replaced the sponge filters with fibre fill to see if that helps to clear up the water. I removed most of the plants with the exception of 2 large ones.

Gerry, Jul 15, 2017
  14. Gerry

budgenator

If you have fish dying and green water then the nitrite, nitrates and phosphate levels are important too. Taking plants out is probably counterproductive, and massive water changes can push you into New pond syndrome. Vacuum the bottom, but don't suck up more than 10 - 20% of the water each week. When you clean your filter elements the goal is to keep them unclogged not "clean", and don't rinse them with chlorinated water.

budgenator, Jul 19, 2017
    MitchM and Meyer Jordan like this.
  15. Gerry

Gerry

Great suggestions. I will have to do 2 things, buy a test kit and a vacuum. Thanks!

Gerry, Jul 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question