Water pump electrical cord

Reaction score
My puppy chewed the electrical cord off my waterfall pump. Wondering has anyone ever attempted to wire a cord back together and make it waterproof? Installing a new cord into the pump is not a option either I already tried to do that put, the pump is sealed. There is only about a foot of electrical cord connected to the pump now. Just wondering how I could fix it without having to buy a new pump.
Thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Splice it then apply RTV around it. Wrap a plastic bag around that and let it cure a few days.
Then tell your Pup BAD DOG!

Reaction score
koiguy has the right idea. You can get PVC heat shrink tubing,lowes? mannardes? any electrical hardware store,[put it over the wire before you splice], then shrink with heat.It will form seal around the wire. I have a small MFG plant. we make harnesses for various electrical applications, >medical, airconditioning & refredgeration. cj

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Don't forget the RTV. I have been using heat shrink since it was invented, it is not waterproof enough, water will leach in through the ends by capillary action and the wires will conduct electricity through the water.
Solder and heat shrink are a good start.

Reaction score
You need adhesive sealant heat shrink, not just heat shrink. The sealant melts inside the full diamter of the heat shrink and should prevent capillary action.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
[quote name='CJ'sPOND']You need adhesive sealant heat shrink, not just heat shrink. The sealant melts inside the full diamter of the heat shrink and should prevent capillary action.[/quote]

Are you going to tell them where they can get it now? Most of these specialty items are expensive and hard to find. Not to mention, a lot of folks don't have the heat shrink gun and are forced to use a torch if they have one.

25 cents worth of RTV after soldering is fine if they cannot get the special heat shrink.

Lets be practical here.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
RTV stands for room temperature vulcanizing. There are dozens of different varieties, all have the same base. home Depot sells a tube called "Goop" for a couple dollars you will have a tube that will fix many things.
RTV is most commonly used as a sealant for water and widly used in the construction trade.

Reaction score
Are you going to tell them where to get it now?
---Ouch!
I mentioned that any electrical supply store would have what is needed. I am not talking a bunch of $$$$'s. I 'm sure a way will be found to accomplish the task. I am now going to stay in the back of the room.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
RTV remains pliable...silicone product... and if your not sure of your soldering skills have someone else do it... with a proper bleed,when complete it should just look like silver wire.

Reaction score
Why couldn't a guy use the heat shrink tubing and then put like epoxy over that to seal it all up?

Ask a Question