Water pump- is it big enough

rdk

Reaction score
I ran my new 30-gal bio-barrel for the first time and the waterfall is about one half the speed or power as my old little box filter set up. My pond is 300 gals with a 500gal per hour pump. I would like to know is this alright or should I be thinking about another water pump? RDK

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
so your saying your putting 250 gal an hour thru the filter? that should be fine if your not happy with the looks of the falls... you can buy a smaller pump to run directly to the falls to increase its volume and locate the pump away from your current pump so youll be pulling water from a different area of the pond, increasing circulation and its effectiveness.

rdk

Reaction score
I have 2 inch tubing on the barrel ,Can I fit a Y shaped fitting to the intake tube and attach a 1 inch hose to the fitting to except 1 inch tubing for a cheep 300 gal per hour water pump I saw? This pump only takes 22 watts of power.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah , you could do that, im just thinking you may be better off having the second pump bypassing the filter and just going right to the falls for aestetics , but not cutting down on the hang time of the water in the filter. just run it with the little box filter. the idea is to elevate the bigger pump off the floor and circulate the water thru the biofilter, and let the second pump and underwater filter box set on the bottom to take care of solids removal.

rdk

Reaction score
If I do that I will have to fool with cleaning that rotten box every week or two. Are you saying that doing it this way will keep the bottom cleaner? RDK

rdk

Reaction score
I wish I could. I don't have a camera. Maybe next week I can have a friend take a picture and I can post it. RDK

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sorry i removed the post asking you to post pix.. anyways run them both thru the skippy like you wanted, it should absolutely be fine and if theres a problem ..worry about it then. were still here to aid you. its just that the under water filter functions before the pump and traps things before they are "blenderized" by the pumps impeller, and turned to cream of poop soup.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
anyways is your filter sitting by the pond or did you locate it away from the pond? im just wondering why you lost so much flow in the first place?

rdk

Reaction score
You are right, the barrel is twice the distance away from the pond then the old box filter and can not be moved any closer. That must be why I am getting half the power. RDK

Ask a Question