Water Quality and Clarity

Reaction score
I live in South Texas. It has been very hot and dry all summer. My water has been" Pea Green Soup". I cleaned it a few months back and the water got filthy quick. I put a new UV bulb no help. The filters have some kind of critter that looks kinda like a shrimp. The Koi don't seem to mind and have even breed. What sould I try first to clean my water and do I need to get rid of the critters? If so, how? Thanks

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The critters are part of the eco system and are of no harm. Green water can be controlled with water plants once your pond is established. How long has it been set up?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome ,do you test your water and do you have a pond thermometer and how deep is the pond and how many fish do you have and how large is the pond and is it sun or shade or part of each and what kind of filter and what size pump .Do you have an aerator or waterfall and is your pond made with a liner .Sorry but that will help everyone figure it out for you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group.
welcomefromgang4.gif

What kind of filters do you have? If you are just cleaning out your pond you are starting over with the new pond syndrome.

Reaction score
In general the critters you see might be called water fleas, but that's just a catch all. If you're interested in an exact id you could start here. Once you know what you have and understand their life cycle you can make an informed choice. In general they consume stuff you don't want in the pond and in turn provide great food for fry or larger insects that bigger fish eat. I know in this forum the overwhelming opinion is that muck is toxic, but it does support a vast and interesting ecosystem that some people enjoy.

As you have seen Koi can certainly thrive in those conditions if not too many for the pond size, or fed more than the pond can break down. But many here would strongly disagree. Ponds can range from show Koi pond, to water garden, to wildlife pond. All have different attributes.

As for water clarity...I've cleaned a lot of my ponds in my day and after awhile the term "green" wasn't enough to tell what the problem is. My guess is if you look really close you will see tiny suspended flecks, kind of like ground pepper, only pale. I guessed that because you said "filthy quick".

I'm assuming your pond has been around for more than a year. If true the "green" you see could be colonies (clumps) of single cell algae. They clump to protect themselves from the sun's UV. The clumps trend to sink in still water or over a long period. Stirring up the pond can get these suspended again and added to the always present single cell algae the water appears green, but a darker green. In new ponds, with new algae blooms there are only single cell algae, no clumps, and the water is bright green, almost lime green, but it depends on the species.

I've also assumed when you cleaned your pond you didn't empty and replace all the water. That could get you the bright green new bloom.

The reason I say all this...fabric filters can be effective removing suspended flecks and, depending on the fabric, can even remove algae colonies. These can clear a pond over night. On the other hand a UV won't remove the flecks and have a limited affect on algae colonies but will kill them. The flecks also block the UV making it less effective. On yet another hand the UV is very effective on new bright green algae and can clear a pond in a few days.

In all cases the UV has to be installed correctly, correct flow, etc... This is especially true when the water has suspended flecks.

When the goal is crystal clear water my strategy is to clean the pond. I don't know how you cleaned yours, I used vacuums. The key is to repeat after a few days, or a week. I start by vacuuming large stuff, leaves, sticks because they clog the next step. That stirs up the muck and I wait a few days for it to settle. Then vacuum with something that removes water, only way to get out the fine stuff. Wait a few days, repeat silt vacuum. Repeat until you're not getting much.

Now the fabric filter. Another choice is a bog filter which allows the flecks to settle out and can grow heterotrophic bacteria that kills single cell algae with antibiotics.

The reason for all the vacuuming is the muck will be a source for more flecks. The flecks are just decomposed organic that have broken down to the point of becoming suspended. Muck is the compost pile. So, if you just use the fabric filter the muck will throw off more flecks and you'll see a limited improvement.

Also, the stir during the vacuuming can help speed up decomposition. That with less stuff to decompose can help a bit.

You can also add high end filters specifically designed for each item in the water.

The most common choice however is to add some little combo filter deal. They can help. But in general the water will clear on its own so the filter gets the credit. What I outlined always works.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. We are here to help as others have stated give us some more detail into your setup and we will better be able to assist you, also if you take some pics it may help us too.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
I live in South Texas. It has been very hot and dry all summer. My water has been" Pea Green Soup". I cleaned it a few months back and the water got filthy quick. I put a new UV bulb no help. The filters have some kind of critter that looks kinda like a shrimp. The Koi don't seem to mind and have even breed. What sould I try first to clean my water and do I need to get rid of the critters? If so, how? Thanks

If all else fails, try to replace your old clarifier with an Aqua clarifier. Thanks be to Viggen & Kougs who have recommended Aqua clarifier to me. It works great. See pics below.

DSC02269.jpg

An Aqua clarifier

DSC02289.jpg

DSC02280.jpg

The clarifer has turned murky greenish water into crystal clear water after several days. Fishies can be seen clearily 3 feet below at the bottom of the pond.
Good luck with anything you are trying to do to fix the problem.

Ask a Question