Water Quality, well water, test kits.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello everyone and thanks for making me part of this community. So, as you may have noticed I am in the process of upgrading from a 50 gallon housing 3 fish to an approx. 400 gallon pond. I am here posing this because while I have done some outside research, in fact several threads from members here came up in my Google search, I am still a little hazy on some issues.

First, I have a shallow well which is high in iron, how much is not know because it is just for irrigation. I'm looking for a test kit but I'll put more below on the matter. I have never used it in my fish pond afraid that even if at a safe level out of the well, over time and through evaporation and refills the levels could become toxic, if they aren't already. I do see several members using well water with iron concerns so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Next question or rather guidance is on a quality test kit(s), tester(s), and parameters I should be testing. Currently I am only testing for pH and ammonia. Some things I'd like to test for:
Iron of course - Needs to test to a scale .01 to .1 ppm, is that correct?
Salinity, I add salt now and then during water changes, but I don't know the salinity so, is it even ever enough?
Hardness (GH & KH)
Nitrates and Nitrites because you will tell me I should and I'll know you are right.

The iron and salinity are the most difficult ones to choose junk from quality, Any guidance here is greatly appreciated.
And thanks @Meyer Jordan and other for the many posts on the subject of water testing. Strips are out and I am correct that API liquid test solutions are generally thought to be reliable?

Thanks,
Paul

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are using salt, you need to know the level. Too much is bad. Most members will tell you salt is not necessary unless used as a dip to treat a specific problem. Not sure on the iron level, maybe someone else can answer that one. API liquid test kits seem to be the most popular.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Mrs Clem, stop adding salt if you can't test for it. Also, I am one of the members that thinks salt is unnecessary for general pond maintenance.

To be honest I can't help much on test kits for ponds, as I don't test for much in my pond. I could help you if it was test kits for reef tanks, but this is a pond forum so no such luck.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First, I have a shallow well which is high in iron, how much is not know because it is just for irrigation. I'm looking for a test kit but I'll put more below on the matter. I have never used it in my fish pond afraid that even if at a safe level out of the well, over time and through evaporation and refills the levels could become toxic, if they aren't already. I do see several members using well water with iron concerns so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Iron is present in all water. In some shallow wells it is noticeably higher. Generally speaking the suspended Iron level is not a problem with fish until it approaches and exceeds 10mg/L. This is an extremely high level of Iron since levels in fresh water typically run >0.02. In humans. 0.03 mg/L is set by the EPA as a secondary drinking water quality standard. (it is not considered a real health hazard and this level is only a recommendation, individual municipalities may set their own)
Tests for drinking water, which include Iron, are readily available and any Big Box store or on-line.

Adding Salt is unnecessary.

Do you rely on this well for your home water supply or is it from a municipal source?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and where I live we have iron in all our wells and mine is over 400 feet deep well and still get iron and it can get worse after super heavy rains .It has not bothered my fish .I use the test kits given by the county to all well owners and send it to the county for testing but they also sell them at lowes and home depot

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Iron is present in all water. In some shallow wells it is noticeably higher. Generally speaking the suspended Iron level is not a problem with fish until it approaches and exceeds 10mg/L. This is an extremely high level of Iron since levels in fresh water typically run >0.02. In humans. 0.03 mg/L is set by the EPA as a secondary drinking water quality standard. (it is not considered a real health hazard and this level is only a recommendation, individual municipalities may set their own)
Tests for drinking water, which include Iron, are readily available and any Big Box store or on-line.

Adding Salt is unnecessary.

Do you rely on this well for your home water supply or is it from a municipal source?
Welcome and where I live we have iron in all our wells and mine is over 400 feet deep well and still get iron and it can get worse after super heavy rains .It has not bothered my fish .I use the test kits given by the county to all well owners and send it to the county for testing but they also sell them at lowes and home depot

Thanks both of you, I definitely respect your opinions. It is a shallow well for irrigation only, we have city water supply for household use. I am about 20 feet above sea level. I've always used tap water for the pond. I'll order a test kit and report back the results but your feedback has me hopeful.
And no NaCl, got it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
city water has stuff in it and should be tested also .Here the people in Danville cannot even drink the city water it smells as bad as it tastes

Ask a Question